Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnohat

Fall Swap 2013- plant trading here!

catnohat
10 years ago

Thought I would go ahead and set up the threads.
This one is for : What I have, and what I want posts.

Comments (73)

• mstywoods
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Amy - I would love both of those! Thanks!!

Poly - I'd love either variety of your ajuga :)

Marj

• gardenfiend
    10 years ago

milehighgirl, mystywoods, catnohat, b2alicia, Please tell me when & where the fall plant swap will be? I hope I haven't missed it! I lost all of my beautiful plants to the frost/snow or to those darn squirrels! I don't have anything to trade so I will be happy to take any leftover plants I can get. Does anyone have a blackberry or grape plant I could get a cutting from ? Please ? I will try to bring some empty flats & pots of all sizes as I did before. I would love to have any type of "fragrant" plants to attract butterflies or hummingbirds & any type of fig cuttings! milehighgirl, may I please have one of your fig plants? Here are some of the plants I would like to have if there are enough left please. catnohat may I have some of your snapdragons & your choco.nigella? b2alicia, may I have some catmint & obedient plant? kvenkat, spider plant aloe plant & lemon grass please? polygonum, may I have some of your white yarrow & ajugas cho. chip & royalty if you have any left? mystywoods, If you have any of your hen & chicks & purple cornflowers left. I'd like some of them please. amester, I hope you have a lot left because I would really like some of your plants ! like the raspberrys, geraniums, campanula, strawberry lipstick (sounds lusious) yellow columbines, & the hyssop?-->agastache? I need to know when & where the swap will be tho. I really want to be there. I have a truck now so I will have room for lots of flats & pots to bring & I may find some other gardening things to bring too. (a good plant guide website for finding flowers is: Fine gardening.com) Thanks, C-YA (I hope!) Carol %): >

• gardenfiend
    10 years ago

milehighgirl, mystywoods, catnohat, b2alicia, Please tell me when & where the fall plant swap will be? I hope I haven't missed it! I lost all of my beautiful plants to the frost/snow or to those darn squirrels! I don't have anything to trade so I will be happy to take any leftover plants I can get. Does anyone have a blackberry or grape plant I could get a cutting from ? Please ? I will try to bring some empty flats & pots of all sizes as I did before. I would love to have any type of "fragrant" plants to attract butterflies or hummingbirds & any type of fig cuttings! milehighgirl, may I please have one of your fig plants? Here are some of the plants I would like to have if there are enough left please. catnohat may I have some of your snapdragons & your choco.nigella? b2alicia, may I have some catmint & obedient plant? kvenkat, spider plant aloe plant & lemon grass please? polygonum, may I have some of your white yarrow & ajugas cho. chip & royalty if you have any left? mystywoods, If you have any of your hen & chicks & purple cornflowers left. I'd like some of them please. amester, I hope you have a lot left because I would really like some of your plants ! like the raspberrys, geraniums, campanula, strawberry lipstick (sounds lusious) yellow columbines, & the hyssop?-->agastache? I need to know when & where the swap will be tho. I really want to be there. I have a truck now so I will have room for lots of flats & pots to bring & I may find some other gardening things to bring too. (a good plant guide website for finding flowers is: Fine gardening.com) Thanks, C-YA (I hope!) Carol %): >

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

gardenfiend,

I have Zweigelt and St. Theresa grapes and I can't remember what kind of blackberries I have but I will check. I also have Crandall currant which is supposed to be very fragrant. I got these this spring so and don't know if they will be "rootable".

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

removing double post

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 1:25

• gardenfiend
    10 years ago

Thanks milehighgirl ! I'll B happy to get any of those. I'll try 2 root the currents & hope it works. I've never had currents R grapes so this will B a new adventure for me. I'm still hopeing someone might have a brown turkey fig bush I can get a cutting from. I'll B happy with whatever plants I can get. Especially if they're fragrant ! %): >

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Hi everyone!

All my swaps are ready for their new homes! I'll read through the list 2-3 times, but I'm sure I'll miss somebody. Please let me know. I prepared 4-5 of each.

CATMINT
    -gardenfiend
    -poly

LADY'S MANTLE
    -gardenfiend
    -poly

OBEDIENT PLANT
    -gardenfiend
    -milehigirl

PURPLE IRIS
    -gardenfiend
    -LizinElizabeth

DAYLILY (not yellow- might be a red? or a pink?)
    -gardenfiend

This post was edited by b2alicia on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 20:42

• nunchucks
    10 years ago

I am planning to make it and this time I'll have a bunch of things and mostly usual suspects of Skybird's since they were the first plants I had gotten most starts from and they are now shareable! Yay! I'll have to go through the garden this weekend to see what I can dig up and post a short list. I am actually not sure what else I can stuff in my small yard except that I've started clearing the hell strip area of rocks but stopped due to the deluge we had last week and waiting for the clay pit to dry up so I can work in compost. Anyways this is going to be a tough spot so any advice or anything you'd think could survive here will be greatly appreciated. I was actually thinking of chucking california poppy seeds in the strip, any thoughts? Do they flower most of the summer or only in the spring? and when can I throw them seeds in the ground.

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Hi Poly,
    Forgot to mention my info on the lady's mantle.
    It likes full sun... in my yard, that's for about 6-7 hours in the summer.
    It's very pretty in the morning, because each leaf looks like a little cup. Any dew, or sprinkler water, settles into the base of each leaf. It has nice greenish-white flowers for 2-3 weeks in the summer, but I like it best for the pretty leaves.
    I'd be happy to save you some.

I looked again at some of the gorgeous things people are bringing, and I hope it's not too late to reserve a couple of things...

amester- May I have one of your sanguineum Geraniums?

popmama - That malva sylvestris is GORGEOUS! Please save one for me. Also 1-2 more hostas! (or more! if you have enough)

Thanks!
    Betty

This post was edited by b2alicia on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 17:29

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

Sugaralice: I have a hell strip of rocks, and I love it! It gets full sun year round. The soil is awful. It is mostly clay and rocks. The drainage of the houses uphill from me runs through the area, so sometimes it is wet and sometimes not. The hell strip is next to a driveway and gets no supplemental water from me.

I have a lot of nice things there, and am adding more until it matches the vision in my head. It looks unbalanced now since I'm still adding plants and waiting for them to survive, spread, and propagate.

Ice plants, salvias, sedums, zauschneria, penstemons, catmint, ajugas, red valerian, and a few others are thriving for me in there this year. I also had a volunteer wild sunflower this year. I have sempervivums and johnny-jump-ups in the part of it that gets more shade.

I'm still trying to get something shrubbish in there that will do well. The barberry is fine, the hesperaloe didn't like it, and now I'm trying apache plume and a small rabbitbrush. If those don't work, I'll try roses and maybe a spirea.

I have callirhoe in another full-sun area, and it too is a fantastic, tough, tolerant plant. I got mine from Amester. The white yarrow I have in my backyard would probably do well there, too, as would agastaches. I suspect that ornamental oregano might be another candidate, and maybe lavender if the winter temps allow (my luck with lavender is not good).

Amester would have more good suggestions, since her front yard is beautifully xeriscaped.

Garden Art or big pretty rocks are another possibility for adding to the overall aesthetic appeal.

b2alicia: If you have extra Lady's Mantle, I'd like to try it.

The plants I bring will be either fresh cuttings or things that are not yet well rooted.

One more offering from me: The blackberry I got last year has a shoot with little roots where it touched the ground. I can cut the shoot and pot it up if someone wants it. I don't remember which person shared the blackberry nor what variety it is.

My Himalayan Knotweed (Persicaria affinis) is starting to spread. it looks like I can take a cutting or two if anyone is interested. There are rootlets along the stems. I do not know if this is an aggressive or invasive plant in our region.

• gardenfiend
    10 years ago

Hi Ya'll, Getting excited about the swap now! Polygonum I would like a cutting of your blackberry plant if you have enough & if no one else askes for it. I can hardly wait ! %): >

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Hi cat,

I think I'd like to try a plumbago if you have enough.
    Can it handle partial shade? Or does it really like full sun?
    How tall have yours been growing? What color are your flowers?
    Do you have any pictures of yours?

Thanks, !
    b2

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

Hi all,

My yard has finally dried out enough to dig in, and I've been potting things up for the swap for the last couple days. Won't have time to do dibs this year, but I'll be back later in the week to post what I expect to have, with pics, so folks can be thinking about what they might want to get.

But right now I have a question! I have a very large Pothos (vining house plant) that needs to be cut back some, and if anybody would like a handful of cuttings to root in water I'll be glad to bring them along. I'll "make" the cuttings, all you'd need to do would be stick them in water till they root and then plant them in soil, but I've brought houseplant cuttings before and nobody seemed very interested so I'm not gonna bother with them right now if nobody wants any.

Does anybody want about a dozen ready-to-stick-in-water Pothos cuttings? There's plenty that I can bring a dozen for several people, so if you're interested please post here by about Thursday so I have time to cut them up.

Really looking forward to the swap, and can't wait to see your backyard, B2!

Will be back later in the week to confirm any Pothos "orders," and to post my goodies!

Skybird

• mstywoods
    10 years ago

Besides the hens & chicks I'm bringing for Poly (2 pots ok?), and the cone flower I'm bringing to b2alicia (Betty - I potted up one plant, as well as have seeds for you), I have a few other things I'm bringing - potted up in solo cups:
    3 blue spruce,6 icicle and 5 hens & chicks (also have one large container with both in it. one person can take the whole thing, or it could be divided up), 4 Egyptian walking onion, 2 regular chives, 3 waterperry, 2 fleabane.

If anyone is interested, I have a lot of mint and strawberries I will dig up if anyone wants either. I think the mint is chocolate, but not sure, and am not sure what variety the strawberries are. The berries have been very small, but taste good. I'm hoping that where I have moved some too will do better for them, but this type may possibly be considered ornamental just cause the berry is so small. They do put out runners. If nothing else, makes a great ground cover. Also think I have a couple more smallish clumps of fleabane. So let me know if anyone wants any of these and I'll dig up and bring to the swap.

So far, the weather looks like it's gonna be nice - sunny and 60's!! Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I have peonies to trade--5 Edulis Superba--old rose pink, very fragrant, and 2 NOIDs. NOID1 looks like Pageant but the pink is darker, plus I never ordered that one! The picture on this post is NOID1. It blooms early, think it beat all of the other herbaceous peonies I have. The pic is of the bud, the white fades away as the flower matures until it's completely hot pink.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

This is NOID2--have no clue what this one is, haven't seen one with the same soft shades. The colors remind me of the dogwood blooms in East Texas where I grew up! It's a mid season bloomer, starts semi-double and gets fuller as the shrub matures. I wish I knew the name for this one but it's unlike any I ordered, obviously a mis-labeled root when I got it. It was probably from Gilbert Wild; they're pretty notorious for sending mislabeled products. Regardless, this one is a favorite of mine and is very distinctive, I'd call the colors cream with dusty rose markings.

Sorry, should've said Edulis needs to be supported, blooms will drag the ground with any amount of rain. The 2 NOIDs stand fine on their own.

I might find a few more things to divide but am not sure since the time is getting close!! Looking forward to seeing everyone!

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I also have some pink yarrow if anyone wants it, small but bloomed this summer. The main plant has been in place 3-4 years and I have quite a few volunteer plants--probably want to mulch heavily if you want it to be well behaved. It's not anywhere near as invasive as the native white, though.

Mstywoods, would love some chives, mine bit the dust back in early May when we had the subzero weather! The Egyptian walking onion sounds cool, too!

Popmoma, can I please join the list for hostas? I also have some golden jubilee hyssop that I grew from seed, been in place for 2 years now and already have several volunteer plants. They tend to get leggy and volunteer like crazy but the hummingbirds and bees LOVE THEM! Definitely a back of the garden plant since it gets so tall and leggy, guess it could be cut back severely once the flowers fade, I just never got to it! I can throw some in a pot if you're interested, for the hummingbirds' sakes!

b2alicia--can I join the list for purple iris?

amestar--can I join the list for some geranium sanguineum, Campanula "Cherry Bells" and hollyhock starts?

Probably not the correct place to put this but my tomatoes this year have been AMAZING!!!! Got them all from the spring swap, have been eating small tomatoes all month and the beefsteak plants have HUGE tomatoes, just turning orange so they'll be ripe soon. This is the first time since I've been in this house (6 summers) that I've had a good tomato year, thanks!!!! I'll be looking for tomato plants again at spring swap!

• catnohat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My mother in law passed away, so I am not going to be able to attend the swap. Sorry to anyone who was hoping for plants from me. I'm sure there will be plenty of great plants though.

~Cat

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

I would be delighted to get any of your peonies, LizinElizabeth. I think I got a few at a previous swap. One is still small but seems to be doing OK. The other one was killed by my neighbor, who decided to spray all along MY side of the back fence line this spring. So others should have first dibs, but I'd love to get any/all varieties if there are any left over. Obviously I'll need to find another spot for them if my back neighbor is going to keep killing my plants -- he's a lollipop-shrub-in-a-field-of-rocks kind of guy. So much for my plans to put a plant privacy barrier along the back fence... (though the 8-ft-tall Maximillian sunflowers are thriving in the corner, with only a bit of leaf damage from his attempted planticide)

I'd be interested in the golden hyssop, too, I think.

b2: If you have a lot of irises, I love getting them, especially the old-fashioned kinds. The purple ones in your photo are very pretty.

Skybird: I love your houseplants! I did get a good start of your pothos last time, though. So I don't need more pothos this time. I hope you get some takers. Your plants are very healthy!

Amester: In my greedfest, I forgot to mention your campanula and your raspberries. Again, others should have first dibs, but if you have extra, may I have some? Would you like starts (i.e. fresh cuttings) of any of my ice plants? Most are from skybird. In addition, I have Fire Spinner and Table Mountain (aka John Profitt).

Sugaralice: I forgot to mention hollyhocks as a possible hell-strip plant for you. They are remarkably tough plants -- some of the healthiest are the ones that spring up in the cracks of abandoned parking lots and the like. If you can grow something tall in the strip, they might be worth a shot.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, Cat. Prayers for you and your family.

• amester
    10 years ago

Cat - we'll be thinking about you, please accept my sympathies.

Lizin - I have been longing to put some peonies in my yard, any divisions that you have enough of would find a very happy home with me. :) I've got your three requests, consider them done.

Poly - not sure how much digging I'm going to have time to do but I'll get you as many things as I'm able to! I'd love any iceplant, thanks for asking.

Skybird - pothos, please! Is there anything I can bring for you? I didn't see any requests.

Here's my request list, I'll do my best - let me know if I've missed anyone or anything.

Popmama - hyssop, if I can find any - it's not volunteering like it used to...

Poly - caryopteris, catmint, iris, geranium, salvia, campanula, raspberries (or as many of these as possible!)

Marj - miscanthus and possibly an oat grass

Gardenfiend - raspberry, geranium, columbine, strawberry, campanula (again, as many as I can manage!)

Milehigh - hollyhock

Kvenkat - campanula, iris, geranium

b2alicia - geranium sanguineum

Lizin - hollyhock, geranium sanguineum, 'Cherry Bells' campanula
    For those of you who didn't specify a geranium type you'll probably get macrorrhizum because it REALLY needs thinning. I also have several types of campanula, if a type wasn't specified I'll dig up whatever needs to be reined in.

I need an address/directions to the swap and can come early to help set up. I have to leave 3ish but we should be wound down by then. I hope! :)

10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm gonna try to get this done tonite before I run out of time!

I don't have time to do dibs this time, but I have several of each of the things I'm bringing so there should be plenty for anybody who really wants something to get it in one of the "first rounds" of picking before we get to the free-for-all----and there will most likely be plenty left of most of them even for the free-for-all!

These first things are potted up in soil, but they were just put in pots within the last week so they're not, in any sense of the word, going to be "well" rooted out yet!

I already posted a pic of the 'White Nugget' iceplant up near the top of this thread, and I'll have 8 of them.

I have 8 Delosperma Lavender Ice 'Psfave'. Groundcover, sun.

I have 6 Veronica 'Waterperry'. Groundcover, sun.

I have 6 Shasta Daisy 'Becky'. Sun/mostly sun.

I thought I might have lost this a couple years ago but there were a few left here and there--and: They're Back! Starting to spread all over the place again so I dug up a few around the edges! Have 6 Anemone sylvestris. They spread a LOT after a couple years, but they spread near the surface, so not "too" bad to get rid of them is you ever decide to! This is one of the very few things that could be considered to be "invasive" that I grow--I love them! Part to mostly shade, can take mostly sun with enough water.

I have 7 small starts for Sweet Woodruff, Galium odoratum. This is another one that can be invasive--I have mine in my "escape-proof garden!" Groundcover, can take pretty much any light conditions, mostly shade to mostly sun with water. The pic is of it blooming, both the flowers AND the foliage have a "sweet" smell, I think it smells like "fresh mown hay!" (The scent is the main reason I keep it around!)

I have 4 Forget-me-nots, Myosotis alpestris. If you get one of these it'll look pretty terrible by spring, but it'll bloom and drop seeds all over the place and from there on out you'll have more and more and more of them. Very easy to pull out unwanted ones! When they start blooming they're nice and compact and pretty, but the longer they bloom the taller and leggier they get, so when they start looking "too bad" is just start pulling them out! By then they've dropped plenty seed to keep them going! I love them coming up here, there, and everywhere! Part shade/shade.

I have 3 Thalictrum aquilegifolium. Part shade/shade, LOVES water! These are small seedlings that started to come up a couple years ago, and now I keep finding more! Foliage/plant usually looks pretty bad by the time it's getting hot in mid-summer!

I have 3 Ajuga 'Black Scallop'. This is the prettiest Ajuga I know of, but it seems to be less vigorous than the others so don't expect it to develop into a really dense groundcover! It struggles over winter (recommend planting it in a somewhat "protected" spot for this winter at least) and I thought I might have lost mine last winter, even before that nasty late hard freeze we got, but I just left it alone and was surprised to find it came back almost completely from the roots/stems that were left! Shade to sun, will really like regular water if in sun!

I have 2 little seedlings that "I believe" are honeysuckle bushes--as in BIG bushes, eventually!

I also have 7 "unknown" Penstemon! Starting this spring I've been finding what appear to be Penstemon seedlings coming up all over the place--but I don't know what species they are! I have three different kinds and they could be any of them, just don't know until they bloom for somebody! I don't seem to be able to find very good pics of the ones I have, but these will give you an idea of the possible colors at least! (Also, I have more than one plant in each pot, so it's possible there are a couple different ones in a pot!)

They could be the red-orange ones I collected seed from along the Burr Trail Road at Boulder, Utah--but out there they only get about 12" tall! In my yard, with too little sun--and probably too much water--they get about 3' tall! Not sure of the species, but I suspect it's P. utahensis, or something very similar to that! Small flowers, but hummers love them!

Could be this larger flowered pink one that I got seeds from somebody at a swap a buncha years ago, but I'm not sure what it was/is. Know it was seed from a hybrid, so mine isn't exactly what the original was anyway--which I'm pretty sure had larger flowers than mine!

Or it could possibly be plain old Penstemon strictus, Rocky Mountain Penstemon, but mine is a ways across the yard, so it's less likely that a whole lot of seed from that one got into this area!

So if anybody is up for a Surprise Penstemon, I'll be interested in finding out what they are when they bloom!

That's all the potted ones, but I'll also be bringing rooted, but unpotted, starts for my three other kinds of Ajuga.

'Royalty'

'Chocolate Chip'

'Arboretum Giant' - never got a really good pic of this one, but it has the largest leaf (and flowers) of all the Ajugas I know of. It's a green leaf and "can" get a very narrow purple picotee in the right light conditions---which I don't seem to have!!! Probably gonna get rid of mine soon since it never gets the pretty picotee that I like so much, so if you want some, this swap would be a good time to do it! This one spreads like crazy, by runners, in spring, so if you just want an area "covered" as quickly as possible, this would be a good one for that purpose!

Haven't dug them up yet, but also plan to have 2 small (unpotted) starts for one of my German Iris! My plant isn't all that big yet, but the way it's spreading on the one side it's been "bothering" my rhubarb, so I'm gonna dig a few of the fans up on that end, will probably have 2 small fans in each of the two "groups." It's fragrant, and here's the color!

Wasn't planning to have any hen & chicks this time (went on two trips this year, and whenever I go somewhere I take hen & chicks and sedum starts along for the folks I meet when I'm out trippin'!), but when I was out doing some "post flood" cleanup a couple days ago I discovered that two of my varieties that tend to "mound up on top of themselves" had some chicks that were never gonna root since there was no way for them to ever get near the soil, so I pulled them off and divvied them in groups. Will have:

4 'Cobweb' - a very small one - I don't often give this one away since it's so small that it never spreads that much!

5 of the one I have labeled K -- don't know what the actual variety name is!

And I'll have one batch of 'Icicle' -- found some that had run away from my main patch of them so I pulled them out and stuck them in a bag! This is the "frosty" looking one, green in summer, pink/red in late spring.

Also, I just cut most of my sedums down and I'll have a whole bunch of cuttings for most of them! Will come with complete instructions! (I know other folks are gonna have some of these! That's great! Any of mine that don't get taken will come back home with me and live on the compost pile!) Will have:

'Angelina'

'Blue Spruce'

'Tricolor' It's always hard to get the pink in pics! Foliage is mostly pink in winter!

Sedum album - CRAZY invasive! Pic is of winter color!

Sedum hybridum

I made up 10 bunches of cuttings from my biggest Christmas cactus--will come with instructions for what to do with them! Don't seem to have a pic of the one I got the cuttings from but it's close to the pink flowers in this pic, but a somewhat "softer" pink, and the flowers are more "double." Root them now and by next fall you'll have a small plant that will bloom, and by the following year you should have a pretty nice size plant!

I've also decided--finally--to get rid of my Pregnant Onion (houseplant!), so I'm gonna divide my BIG plant into 4 pieces and they'll be up for grabs for anybody who wants to start one! Don't have a pic! Google it!

I think that's everything! If I forgot something you'll find out about it on Saturday!!!

I also have a request! In spring of '08 I gave away starts for three different mums. One of them was a quill that I really loved, and after digging and dividing mine I lost the piece that I had kept for myself. I'm still hoping that some day I can get a piece of it back from somebody who got one of the starts. The one I'm looking for is a lavender and white "quill." Each petal of the flowers is like a little "straw." If anybody coming to this swap happened to get some of this one, can I please get a little start of it back again--with MUCH gratitude!

See you all on Saturday,
    Skybird

P.S. This has taken a couple hours and I don't have time to proofread it, so if there are any typos---deal with it! ;-)

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Cat!
    So sorry to hear of your sad news. My sympathy to you and your family.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

Catnohat: So sorry. My deepest condolences on your loss.

Amester: No worries, just bring whatever is convenient.

If someone wanted the asters that Catnohat was offering, I have them, too. They are blooming for me now. But I can cut one (or more) way back and pot it up if there is any interest. Or you can wait until spring and get a freshly sprouted plant from me or Cat or skybird.

Skybird: I am always up for a surprise penstemon or two. And a forget-me-not, please?

Thanks!

I have not yet received the swap address or directions. Have they been sent out yet?

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Amester,

Hi ! I saw your post. If you click on my name, it will open my profile page. At the top on the right, there's an option that says "send me an email". If you click on that, you can send an email to me from garden web, and I will reply back with my address and phone number.

Looking forward to seeing you! And so glad you can come early.. with helpers? That would be wonderful.

Do you have any folding tables? card tables? folding chairs? (I know I should put this in the other thread, in fact, I might just copy it over there.) :)

• kvenkat
    10 years ago

Skybird,
    I will happily take a cutting of your pothos. i think this is the creeper that East Indians call the "money plant" which is supposed to bring prosperity to the home. Good enough for me!

B2alicia,
    May I have a bit of your catmint?

This is what I have earmarked for you guys:

Green/white coleus for amester.

Spider plant, aloe and lemongrass for gardenfiend.

Let me know if I have forgotten anyone.

Also, I have a table but have to see if it will fit in my car.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I'm getting so excited about this trade!!!!Looking forward to seeing those of you I've met again and making new gardening friends!
    For anyone interested in peonies I'll try to divide more on Friday if I can get it done before the expected rain. If so I'll post back here with pictures or at least names if I can find them. And if the penstemon that Skybird has is the Rocky Mountain Blue it looks absolutely beautiful with peonies, blooms at the same time as the mid-season ones and the flower shapes are very complementary as you can see in the picture.

• amester
    10 years ago

Aaagh! My peony lust is raging...LOL...
    b2, I just sent an email, sorry I was slow on the uptake there. I can bring a couple of camp chairs. BYOC, everyone! I wish I had a folding table, we really need to invest in one someday. Sigh. But if we do wind up going more pizza than potluck we won't need quite as much table space, either.
    Okay, I'll wrap up my digging tomorrow and do my best to take care of everyone and bring a few extras.
    See you all Saturday!

• gardenfiend
    10 years ago

skybird, may I please have one of you cobweb hen & chicks? I lost all of my plants I got from the swap & that was one of my favorites! b2alicia I'll send U an e-mail for the address if thats ok? I'm so excited about the swap Sat. It'll be nice to C everybody again. I will try to come a little early to help set up. I think I can bring a table & maby a couple of chairs. What else do we need? C-YA Sat. %): >

10 years ago

Polygonum and Gardenfiend, like I said at the beginning of my picture post, I'm not doing dibs this time, but the good news is that there aren't that many people coming, and there should be plenty of almost everything for you guys, and everyone else, to be able to get the things they want on the first couple rounds of picking--and probably more still left for the free-for-all! I just posted the info with the pics so people would know more about the things I'm bringing than just the name of them which is about all there's time for on the day of the swap. So for anyone who sees something they really like, make a mental note of it so you can be sure to get one for yourself on the day of!

For the Pothos, the only thing I am taking "orders" for, I'll have a handful of ready-to-stick-in-water cuttings for Amester and KvenKat! If anybody else wants some, I need to know by tomorrow/Thursday, 'cause I'm gonna be too busy on Friday to cut anymore.

Amy, thanks for asking if there's anything I want! The only Campanula you posted is the 'Cherry Bells', and I was the originator of that one--and got rid of it for a reason! But you mentioned having "other" Campanulas in a more recent post, and was it you I got the 'White Clips" (and 'Blue Clips') starts from a couple years ago? If so, they were both doing really well in the beginning, then, last year, the 'White Clips' VERY suddenly laid down and died on me! So if it was you, I'd love another small start of that one.

And if you happen to have any of these, would also be interested in a start of one/some of the smaller flowered species like poscharskyana (Serbian), portenschlagiana (Dalmatian), garganica (Adriatic), or cochlearifolia (fairy thimbles). (Have rotundifolia--Scotch bluebell) Another one I "had" and have given away in the past (mine died!) is C. glomerata, clustered bellflower, especially the variety 'Acaulis' which is shorter than most of the others. And another I've given away in the past--and mine bit the dust--is peachleaf, C. persicifolia. Hoping to get a start of that back again some day too--really like the blue, but the white is pretty too. (I think I may have gotten a start of this from you too a couple years ago, and, if so, it, like the 'White Clips', started out really well--and then suddenly keeled over!) So if any of those are ones you happen to have, a small start of one or two of them would be appreciated! If you don't have time, that's ok too! There will always be another swap!

Skybird

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    10 years ago

I made a big post last night with my list of plants and a few "wants" too and I have no idea where it went. I guess I'll chalk it up to user error.

I have:

- several hostas and some that can be divided on site
    - a couple of torch lilies, a yellow variety
    - miscellaneous sedum
    - hens 'n chicks
    - a big chunk of cranesbill
    - several malva sylvestris
    - maybe an iris
    - one unknown daylily
    - some plant markers because I got a big pile of them at a tag sale for virtually nothing
    - a few small bags of Yum Yum mix because everyone should have Yum Yum mix (feel free to Google it)

My friend that's coming with me would love to have a peony.
    I'm not sure what else I want, but I'm sure I'll see stuff I must have
    I also like rusty junk and garden accoutrements, so anyone who wants to get rid of stuff like that.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Got amester and popmama's friend for peonies and polygonum_tincorium for peonies and hyssop. I'm off tomorrow so will be digging/dividing more in the morning, probably some different peonies if I can find tags or pictures so I know what I'm digging! I know I have a large clump of Victoire de la Marne in the back yard, the single pink in the picture with the Rocky Mountain penstemon and a single white, think it's Krinkled Linens that can be divided this year.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

LizinElizabeth,

The peonys posted above are what I have been looking for. If you have any I'd like some.

• gardenfiend
    10 years ago

Hii all, mstywoods may I have some of your mint & strawberries & any other type of herb cuttings you may have. I would like to get some rosemary if any one has some. I'll B very happy to take anything I can get that is fragrant (or not) especially if it attracts butterflies or hummingbirds, or gets rid of flies or mosquitoes. Thanks Ya'll ! Carol %): >

• nunchucks
    10 years ago

This thread has grown considerably since I last checked! and wish I had time to read through but I can't - ssshhh!!! at work now with crazy deadlines and shoveling food down my piehole. Here's what I have. Like I mentioned, mostly usual suspects of Skybirds.

Anemone Sylvestris - 7
    Delosperma Lavender Ice - 4 ( potted about 2 weeks ago )
    Shasta Daisy Becky - 5

These are not from Swaps so might be something new for someone!???
    Delosperma Cooperi - 4 ( potted up 3 wks ago )
    Verbascum - 1
    Lychnis Chalcedonia ( I think?? doesn't resemble any baby weed in the bed or that I recognize since I started gardening here - 2 yrs ) I have 2 little plantlets that resemble the mother plant I got this Spring - so pick at your own risk - you've been warned

Sorry but I don't think I'll have time to read through this thread and see what I like/want but I am looking for these if anyone has them

1. Delosperma ( anything other than white )
    2. Achillea ( anything other than white )
    3. Agastache ( anything other than white )
    4. Black Eyed Susan
    5. Hens and Chicks
    6. Coreopsis
    7. Dianthus

Super appreciative of anything else anyone thinks can survive on the hell strip I cleared out. Thanks!

I see peonies! but until I get the backyard figured out with a patio and such to protect them, I don't think they can handle to crazy winds at my house.

See you tomorrow

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Started raining on me so I'm done digging for now, did get 3 Victoire de la Marne and a single Cytherea to bring along.

Milehigirl, added you to my list!

Anyone looking for something specific in peonies let me know, I'll tag the closest fit.

• mstywoods
    10 years ago

gardenfiend - sure, I'll bring you some of both!

cu,
    Marj

• amester
    10 years ago

Lizin, I think everyone can vouch that I'm not the greedy type but the peonies are testing me! :) Cytherea's always been on my list but I really will be thrilled with any of them, they're all so beautiful. It's probably too late/wet/cold at this point to start spouting preferences but I am happy to work out any kind of trade you want in the future. I've wanted to do peonies for years but they're just so darn expensive that I've always held off so this will be a treat!
    Sugaralice, I've got some toughies, if the rain lets up I'll dig up whatever I can. My stuff survived two years of 100% neglect in horrendous clay and full sun so I can vouch for its resilience. :)
    See you all tomorrow!

10 years ago

SugarAlice, I've been wanting to post about your hell strip ever since you posted that and I just keep running out of time!

There have already been some good suggestions, but I wanted to let you know that, assuming it gets full/mostly sun, any of the sedums and iceplant I'm bringing would work well there. They can take almost any soil conditions, but would spread faster if you improved it some, and when they get established they need very little water, but would spread faster if they were watered deeply every couple weeks. Same with the hen & chicks--which I don't have many of this time, but other folks are bringing some too.

I don't have any to give away, but the upright sedums would work well too and would give you a little more height than just all groundcover things.

And, your question about California poppies! If it's sun they should work well too (tho they don't "play well" with other things since they spread all over the place), but if you do decide to go with them I'd recommend you get seed for some of the "prettier" varieties than just the plain yellow/gold ones! Check out the link below for some other possibilities (seed for some of these should be available in local stores). 'Thai Silk' and 'Mission Bells' are both fairly common varieties.

And Polygonum mentions some of them above, but pretty much any of the truly xeric plants would work too like Russian sage and the Agastaches. You have lots of possibilities, just need to decide on how you want it to look.

Have to go! See you all tomorrow,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: California poppy varieties

• mstywoods
    10 years ago

I have plenty of the Blue Spruce sedum I can bring you SugarAlice if you want some for your Hell strip. They are some of the upright ones that Skybird is talking about.

10 years ago

Because of its growth habit I understand why you're calling 'Blue Spruce' an upright sedum, Misty, but it's really just a Pretender! The ones I'm talking about are "stiff" upright, and most of them are about 18-24" tall. The green leaf ones are usually Sedum spectabile, like 'Autumn Joy', but the really cool ones are all the new incarnations with the really dark foliage (not referred to as spectabile) like the one linked below. There's a whole bunch of them, and the flowers usually dry nicely, providing winter interest--until the snow knocks them down too badly!

See ya tomorrow,
    Skybird

Copy & paste 'Autumn Joy'
    http://namethatplant.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/watermark_1032.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nunchucks
    10 years ago

Awesome...thanks for the sedums and suggestions...we can talk more tomorrow about how to sow the poppies. Maybe I had get them to grow in the weedy empty plots next to the house! Yes I have amended the soil - turned it over with a pick axe and removed wheel barrows of the hard packed clay along with buried contractor rubbish and mixed it with compost. I can't image any plant living in the hard packed clay! Even the few worms there looked anemic and skinny and slow moving.

• gardenfiend
    10 years ago

Hi all ! Well i'm ready to go to the swap only 1 problem...I don't have the address (or a ph #) where it will B! Can someone please send me an e-mail with the address? The last swap I went to was the spring swap in 2010! I don't want to miss this one! I'm starting to panic a little now. I'm ready to go...but where? Thanks, Carol %):

• mstywoods
    10 years ago

Did you get the address gardenfiend? If not, I'll send to you in pm.

Oh - yeah, I guess the Blue Spruce isn't totally that type you were talking about, Skybird! I do have some Autumn Joy, but not quite enough to share this time - sorry! SugarAlice - l'll look later this morning to see if you post you do want Blue Spruce, then I'll dig some up for you. I'd say they get about 6-8" tall if you don't keep them trimmed, wouldn't you Skybird? If you let them bloom, though, they get a bit taller.

• gardenfiend
    10 years ago

Morning All ! mstywoods, I don't have the address or a ph #. I'm checking to see if I got an e-mail from b2alicia about it. Please send the address to me asap. All I know is denver & I'm not even sure of that. I'll B crushed if I miss this swap. It's been 2 yrs. since I've been to one! Thanks, Carol %):

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

please let me know if you still don't have the address!

So sorry.
    betty

• mstywoods
    10 years ago

gardenfiend sent me an email, and I have texted her your address B2!

• nunchucks
    10 years ago

Mstywoods - thanks but its so late in the game to trouble you that I think I'll have plenty to choose from everyone...and there is always next Spring swap if I wanted some. Thanks for thinking...really appreciate it. Now I need to dash out to get some olives - I thought I had a couple of cans but turns out I had nothing left in the pantry. I am excited to see everyone again and soon!

10 years ago

Gardenfiend, I see you have already received it, but just to let you know, I just found your PM and it says "the member has chosen not to reveal her email address therefore you cannot reply to this message via email," and there is an address shown in the Reply field, but I know it's not you--it's another RMG person and I have NO idea how their address got there! The same person has shown up in Reply on previous PMs from GW, so I don't know if that means something isn't working right for me again (several years back PMs from GW didn't work at all for me!) or if this is happening to other folks too! Glad someone else was able to get thru to you! [And I don't use texting--ever! It's disabled on my Dumb Phone!]

Misty/Sugar, I have a BIG pile of 'Blue Spruce' cuttings I'm bringing!

Skybird

This post was edited by skybird on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 10:58

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

Sugaralice: Verbascum, please? I think I can dig up a rudbeckia and a dianthus for you. I'll be going out into the yard in a few minutes and will see what's around. (edited to add: I got a rudbeckia for you. The dianthus are too small and the ground not soft enough for me to dig safely.)

I didn't get a chance to pot up ajugas, so I'll be bringing fresh cuttings. Ditto for the ice plants. The yarrow and blackberry were dug and potted up yesterday.

I'll see what else I have around to share.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

This post was edited by polygonum_tinctorium on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 12:06

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia