Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david52_gw

For the garlic lovers among us

david52 Zone 6
12 years ago

I have stumbled upon a winner, here, for the garlic loving set. I'll explain what I did, and ya'all can take if from there.

Peeled 3 heads of garlic, minced them, and in a few tablespoons of olive oil, slowly browned the bits to that golden brown color in a small, non-stick pan.

Took 1 gallon of organic 2% milk, poured it in 3 gal stock pot, warmed it to the touch. Took that off the heat and whisked in 1 qt of organic plain yogurt, and whats essential here, the now cooled olive oil and garlic bits. Whisked that all up, put on the lid, and waited over-night. Next morning, I whisked in 1/2 cup of lemon juice into the now 5 qts of yogurt, and poured the whole thing into a clean, cotton diaper-lined colander. Left that overnight again to drain.

Next morning, put the yogurt cheese in a 2 qt bowl, added 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, few hot pepper flakes, and lots of snipped dill fronds. Stirred that all up, and into glass containers and into the fridge. Yield is about 1.8 quarts.

This is really good, the garlic permeates the whole thing. Obviously, the whole recipe can be downsized to one qt plain yogurt.........