Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
preparing garden for fall

Posted by pureguava Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 12:33

Okay, I confess I am a total newbie at in-ground gardening, but I am so happy to have found this forum. I just bought a house in Longmont, CO with a HUGE garden in the back. It is currently completely overrun with weeds and 12 foot tall sunflowers. I am feeling overwhelmed and don't know where to start to prepare the garden for fall. Ideally I'd like to plant a few cold-weather crops like maybe onions and greens. Here are my questions:
1) Can I compost the sunflowers? They are giants and there are a lot of them. I have a tumbling composter and a big heap left behind by the former owner.
2) I'd like the garden to be plantable come spring. Should I mulch or plant a cover crop to keep down weeds?
3) Is there anything I plant in a small sunny corner this time of year that I could harvest this fall?
4) Any other tips for a brand new gardener?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: preparing garden for fall

1) sure - it will be easier if you cut them in pieces, the smaller the better. You can run over them repeatedly with a lawn mower, use a piece of wood with a machete, and chop them, or just use pruning shears and get a great upper-body workout.

2) I'd go with a mulch - cardboard covered with what ever organic matter you can find. I've never had much luck with cover crops.

3) Kale is great. Thats my big fall crop

4) Welcome to the forum! This fall, if you concentrate on killing off the weeds by mulching over them cardboard, leaves, compost, etc. you'll be building the soil at the same time. It may not look all that great, but the result is worth it, IMO.

o

Hi Guava,

Ditto everything David said! The only thing I'd add is that if your "weeds" include bindweed and/or thistles I'd recommend giving them a good spray with Roundup or Weed-B-Gon a few days to a week before you cover them up with the cardboard and organic matter. Both of those have really hard to kill roots and the herbicide would help to weaken them first.

But I really just signed in to say welcome to RMG! Glad you found us!

Skybird

o

Welcome! My fiance and I bought a house in Longmont (end of March) with a crazy garden that is already established but is super overrun. We didn't know it when we bought it but it has over 50 roses, tons of phlox, lilies, daisies, lupins, peonies, black eyed susans and a bunch of other plants I don't know. I am in way over my head although I love the plants, I don't know a thing about caring for them, and have been learning through trial and error. I am so happy to find this forum and hear that I'm not alone in my gardening newbie-ness! So far I have managed to not kill anything. Hooray! I hope you like Longmont as much as I do...maybe we can share tips!
Get some great leather gloves, and don't use the city mulch if you can help it- I ended up with a bunch more weeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here