• provogirl
    12 years ago

Love it! What a nice change of pace!

Thanks for posting this Steve.

ProvoGirl

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Peter came out of my garden, sat along the fence line for a few moments, then went right back in the garden . . .

This time, I had time to take a shot at him. The camera was handy.

He has really done considerable damage to the 1st planting of beans, which are planted near the neighbor's raspberry/grape jungle. The 2nd planting is a little farther out in the garden. So far, Peter has left them alone. The pole beans are quite a distance away in a corner. I have noticed some damage over there.

He has zero respect for my hat!

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ProvoGirl,

Do you have Sylvilagus nuttallii in your neighborhood?

Steve

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

I'm very close to borrowing the neighbor's pistol again and taking out the last ones on this part of the block. The d___ bunnies across the street think its cute that they reproduce in their yard, and are incapable of making the connection between neighbors complaining about rabbit damage and their rodent nursery.

Hasenpfeffer!

[:o\

Dan

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

An inspiring character, Dan [:o\.

"Consarn it! I ain't givin' up without a fight!"

digitS'

12 years ago

Flea-bitten varmint.

Dan

• bob_in_colorado
    12 years ago

Liquid Fence Rabbit Repellant. It really works. I've tried all the other stuff, but it really does.

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a yard about a half mile down the road from the big veggie garden where the homeowners have released (or, just tolerated) domestic rabbits.

There are some sky to turf spruce trees in that yard and I think that's the only reason that Mrs. Coyote hasn't taken care of them. Dag-nabbit, they need a Jack Russel!

When the owl family was in the haybarn next to the garden, I found rabbit parts down on the floor of the barn. However, I think voles and pigeons were the most common owl meals. Probably shouldn't say "pigeons" because the collard dove population spiked and declined rapidly during the years surrounding the owls use of the barn. It would have been difficult for me to know the source of all the feathers.

I remember seeing those dern bunnies right outside of that barn during daylight hours with no attempt by the owls to capture them but varmint damage to the garden during that year and the year following was almost nonexistent.

My understanding is that the repellent has a origin (shall we say) from predators.

Steve

• provogirl
    12 years ago

Steve,

Yes we do. So far they have stayed a few houses down and I only see them venture my way in the winter.

ProvoGirl

12 years ago

Cook! Cook! Where's my lunch? Where's my dinnah? Hasenpfeffah!

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

Soooooo glad I don't have to deal with bunnies! After having whole flats fulla stuff eaten, irretrievably, down to the ground when I was at Paulino's, I very much sympathize with you guys!

I vote for the hasenpfeffer option!

WAY back in the 50's, my brother had the grand champion New Zealand White at the 4-H Fair one year! Bunnies ARE cute---as long as they're in a cage---or anywhere but in YOUR yard!

Re the hasenpfeffer! One year my brother killed some of his bunnies--part of a 4-H project--and my mother cooked/roasted one of them. We were REQUIRED to eat whatever was put on the table, so I, reluctantly, took a bite---and had to run over to the sink to spit it out---or I was gonna throw up! How can ANYBODY eat BUNNY???

Don't have a CLUE what I'd do if one ever showed up in my yard--not that one ever would in my ticky tacky urban subdivision with 6' privacy fences--but I SO would find a way to Do The Deed if I ever needed to! I grow my plants--veggies AND flowers--for ME, and not for the local wildlife, so, while it might not be hasenpfeffer, I would definitely find SOME way to get rid of them!

Digit! Have you tried peein' on em? Think they'd consider you a predator???

;-)
    Skybird

• amester
    12 years ago

I did Bobbex but they got used to it (I pictured them pinching their little bunny noses as they munched away...) Stinkers.

Despite having a large dog and two highly predatory cats they're still everywhere. Someone on another forum suggested impaling deceased ones on pikes around the yard as a warning...? "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"

Get your sieve ready, McGregor, he'll be back!

• bob_in_colorado
    12 years ago

That was me! I considered staking them in trees or killing some and burying them on the property boundaries. I was at my wits end until I discovered Liquid Fence.

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I believe that we all may need a calming interlude.

This is the theme song and closing credits from a British children's show titled "The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends." Click on the little waving guy and have your speakers on:

digitS'

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's the slide show of Beatrix's paintings from the book!

The closing scene and credits for the TV show . . . click below.

. . . same theme music by Miriam Stockley.

digitS'

Here is a link that might be useful: The World of Peter Rabbit & Friends

12 years ago

I've done my own hair, soap, etc. Blood meal works best, but expensive remedy.

Dan

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Peter was back the other day:

I was a little too far away and the rising sun was behind him.

This is at the edge of the cutting garden in what I call "the big veggie garden." Obviously, it is flowers in that corner.

Peter may not eat the flowers but he probably needs the cover of the plants and trellises. The hay field, the edge of which he is nibbling on, has just been cut, raked and baled. There's no cover for him out there.

Since this is the ornamental corner, I will spray that path with round-up. Trying to keep the hayfield out is an ongoing problem. I just haven't done that spraying in quite a long while . . .

Steve

You can click the photo for a little music.