Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autodidact_gw

Morning Glory

autodidact
15 years ago

What am I doing wrong with my attempts to grow morning glories? I see huge ones all over town, but my two that I started from seed did nothing. One is in full sun, and one mostly shade. Neither went anywhere. Do they need a lot of water, or what is the secret?

Comments (7)

• aliceg8
    15 years ago

I did read that they like poor soil... but that said, mine are growing at the edge of my vegetable garden, which is nice soil.

All I did this year and last was to through the seeds on the soil and scratch them in. They don't like transplanting. If you like I will harvest a bunch of seeds again this year and can send you some. I have a cherry pink and a traditional purple.

Alice

• nicole__
    15 years ago

I have great success with them. You need to nick the seed with a knife, or saw thru an edge with a steak knife before planting. Lupine seeds are the only other seed I sow that needs this pre-planting prep. They grow in any soil, but I water once a day.

• aliceg8
    15 years ago

That's really interesting Nicole, because I'm reminded that the first time I planted my morning glory seeds I did nick them all. But the seeds that I harvested last year I just scattered on the ground and covered lightly came up just fine. Hmmm...

Alice

• autodidact
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, maybe the problem is that I started them inside and then transplanted. Basically they're the same size as when I transplanted. So, just sow directly in the ground, eh? After danger of frost? Thanks.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi AD,

I don't know about the theory of direct sowing instead of starting them early! Last year I started them in small pots, and when they didn't seem to keep growing in the pots, I put them out in the ground---where they sat for a long time before they finally took off.

This year, assuming direct sowing would be more successful, I did that---and wound up with even less than last year! A few of them are finally to the top of my 8' lattice, but most of them are still tiny and doing nothing.

So I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it too! One thing I did notice this year is that the seeds that dropped last year have been coming up all over the flower bed---and still are! The ones that dropped last year seem to be doing the best of all, so I'm thinking of just taking the seed as it ripens this year and scattering it along the bottom of the lattice where I want it, and then waiting to see how well it comes up next year. Maybe by being outside all winter, they can germinate and start to grow roots whenever they feel like it, rather than on our timetable. I don't know if it'll work or not, but with all the seed even a few flowers produce, it's worth a try.

One thing I have noticed both years, 'Grandpa Ott' seems to be the earliest bloomer. It's dark purple, not one of the biggest, but real pretty!

I also direct seeded cardinal climber, thunbergia, hyacinth bean, and a couple other things this spring, and none of them are doing very well! Cardinal climber is nice because it has jaggedy leaves---tho I've never yet had it bloom! Supposed to have red flowers!

Eventually I plan to start some Clematis on my lattice, and then I won't have to worry about how to start them! :-)

Good luck with yours,
    Skybird

• mutajen
    15 years ago

after years of trying i finally had some success with morning glories. i soaked them a few days til the seeds cracked - no nicking this year, took too much time! - pretty much just stuck them in the ground in may near the lawn sprinklers. i think the trouble i had in the past was either letting the seedlings dry out or starting them inside and then setting them out before a late frost. ironically, in atlanta where i moved from they were a major weed, pulling down fences all over town. world's prettiest weed, though. i direct seeded cardinal climber and forgot what it was - flipped thru the seed catalog and couldn't find any pictures of leaves, just flowers! had no idea what it was until it finally flowered a little in the end of september. the leaves alone were worth it. i had one in the ground and a few in pots, and both did ok.

• davies-cc
    15 years ago

They do like some sun, so the shady one being wimpy doesn't surprise me as much. I would guess on yours that the roots just didn't grow into the surrounding soil - was it clayey? If the soil is reasonably well drained, direct seed into it anytime this winter or next spring, and I should think once the soil warms up in May they'll get their mojo working. I would only soak or nick the seeds if you're planting them late and want to speed the germination. Otherwise the wet/freeze/thaw cycles of winter and spring ought to take care of that for you.