Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnohat

What is it and who wants some?

catnohat
10 years ago

I love these, but they are spreading a lot this year! I thought I would bring some to the fall swap if anyone is interested. The leaves turn reddish in the fall and the flowers are very blue! I'm not sure what they are though.

-Cat

Comments (8)

• plantladyco
    10 years ago

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides, also known as Plumbago

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

Can be real pretty, Cat, but the stuff is incredibly invasive, so be careful where you let it go!

Skybird

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

Cat,

I got a small start from someone at the first fall swap I went to a few years ago. It didn't make it. I would like to try again if you decide to pot some up. It would be fun to see if it'll give the bindweed a run for it's money.

Speaking of the fall swap, isn't it about time to start planning one? I've potted up a couple of things already and see a few more candidates in the garden.

Barb

• Carole Westgaard
    10 years ago

I just moved to Boulder County from northern Ilinois and had Plumbago planted in between hostas and other shade perennials as well as summer annuals that look crappy by August - it comes up late and is knockout because it hides all that end-of-summer stuff that should be cut back anyway, If you like blue, it's the bluest - not purple! And yes, the leaves will go red in September. I would love some next Spring as we're building a house in Erie but can't take posession until end of October. What can I do to take some off your hands? You can email me at cdwestg@comcast.net

Westy

• catnohat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have four good clumps of it, two of which have traveled to the wrong side of the fence. So I will get some of that dug out and potted up soon.

Westy, if you're not ready for it until spring, I can bring some to the spring swap for you.

Barb, I will mark a couple for you. I was just thinking the same thing about the Fall swap. It's time to start planning!

• amester
    10 years ago

Hey everyone - I just jumped on to see if there were any rumblings re: fall swap - guess I came to the right place!
    I LOVE plumbago and it can go anywhere it wants to in my yard. And Westy's right - the fall color is amazing.
    I know it's only August but we can start fall swap talk anytime, right?? :)

• Carole Westgaard
    10 years ago

When is the Fall swap? And when is Spring? Or are dates not set in stone yet? How do I get on the list or newsletter or whatever? I don't know a thing (obviously).

I'm sick about not being able to swap stuff this Fall but I left over 400 hostas and 150 huecheras in the ground in Illinois because we moved in January. (Sold the house to non-gardners who promised to let me come back and take what's got my blood and sweat on it) I plan to dig as many up as I can next Spring and would be happy to swap. I know it's a long way off but I'm IN!

Westy

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

Cat,

Thanks for the offer! How about you just set aside one for me since it seems to be a wanted plant?

Westy, we don't have a newsletter. We just post here. We post, like Cat did, when we think about it. There will be some back and forth on the date as we want most of the regular posters to be able to come. Well, actually once a host volunteers it narrows down the date.

Don't worry about not having plants to swap, come anyway! When I started going to swaps I didn't have a garden established, so I brought some of the tulip and daffodil bulbs I bought for fall planting to the swap. After a few years of going to swaps I have plants big enough to divide and share now.

Barb

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting