Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_farmers_wife

Anyone from Montana?

the_farmers_wife
14 years ago

We'll be moving there in a couple of months so I'm looking into the "gardening potential". Livingston, specifically. I know it'll be a shorter growing season, but I'm up to the challange!

So, anyone?

Comments (9)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    14 years ago

Go to this website and see what you can grow in that area.
    http://extn.msu.montana.edu/yard.asp
    It's beautiful country and a bit different than what you're used to. Study up on the native plants and soil this winter and see what you want to try next year. Good Luck!

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

There are some people from MT that pop in here now & then, it just may take a bit before you catch one.

I used to live in Great Falls but that doesn't help much if you're moving to Livingston...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• Beeone
    14 years ago

You'll have a shorter season than you are used to in Kansas, plus higher altitude and the air just doesn't hold the heat the way lower/more humid altitudes do, so heat loving plants are more likely to try your skills in Livingston. Still, you should be able to grow tomatoes, peppers, corn, and the other garden veggies. Melons may be a bit more difficult.

Livingston is well known for its winds, but there are probably some less windy areas there also. However, by reputation, you will want to tie bricks around the roots of your garden plants to keep them in the ground, or if your yard doesn't have one, get an evergreen windbreak going to protect your garden.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

There could be some interesting reading for you at the blog linked below as well, though you may need to read some of her back posts to find specifics as her topics are fairly broad, but she's based out of Bozeman.

FWIW...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Manic Gardener

• margaretmontana
    14 years ago

Margaret here from by Hamilton but our climate here is different than yours. You would be closer to Billings in temperatures. We have a milder climate but I think Livingston has warmer nights. Livingston is know for the wind that is strong enought to blow semis off the road and bllizzards in the winter. Welcome to the Big Sky!

• mt_teacher
    12 years ago

I'm up in Columbia Falls-- 20 miles from Glacier National Park.

• gardenbutt
    12 years ago

Hi there MT Teacher,
    We are just a short drive from you down at Rollins.Always nice to find others from our area on the site here.
    Mary and James
    Of the
    Happy House

• Big_Sky_Blooms
    12 years ago

I will be glad to offer any advice - many years of gardening in the area you are moving to - shrubs, trees, perennials, annuals, veggies, herbs. It is amazing how much we can grow. More than anywhere else I have lived though, microclimates rule...when people ask me about growing a particular plant, I ask where they live and I don't mean what county or town, I mean what street! Major factors: alkaline soil, WIND, -20 to -30 at times in winter, hot arid July and August, did I mention wind? Ammending the soil, creating wind breaks, etc can help - all depends on where you live.

• mtny
    12 years ago

yes... gallatin canyon/gateway....Livingston? I love Livingston...in town or surroundings....lots of micro climates in that area...although not the most severe...