Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why I like August the bestest of them all.

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 14:32

I can go out early in the morning, when its still cool, and first stop, eat tender, crunchy green beans off the vine, then 4 steps to the left, a dozen ripe cherry tomatoes, and on the way back into the house, half a dozen raw okra. Thats breakfast.

For lunch, its baby eggplant fried in olive oil, with fried green Jimmy Nardano peppers.

Dinner, we're contemplating grilling eggplant, ripe tomatoes, green onions (<====these are really good - brush with olive oil, salt) , more peppers, and something meat.

Unfortunately, soon here, its canning season, which is work :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why I like August the bestest of them all.

That sounds delightful, David! We have been enjoying some squash, tomatoes, cukes, and some peppers. More tomatoes are forthcoming - still need to ripen. I'm looking forward, actually, to canning them - they make chili, sphagetti sauce, etc. taste so much better!!

The other thing I love about August are the crickets! I really noticed them last summer, and I started hearing them this summer a couple of weeks ago. I don't know whether where we lived before just didn't have many, or if the weather has something to do with it. I just love their music!! It just brings back a feeling of being a kid when we'd go on camping trips during the summer, and time seemed to slow down and you felt like there wasn't a care in the world.

Enjoy: Relaxing Sunrise over a Lake with the sounds of Crickets .

Marj

o

Lets see, tomatoes are still green (yes it is amazing!) Squash is doing great already had several meals from that, cucs blooming like mad, but nobody ready for a salad yet. Winter squash starting to form fruit. My favorite, which I discovered yesterday, softball sized juane canary melon. He is snuggled up right against the block wall that is frames my garden beds, must be pretty cozy. Can't wait to see how he tastes, slurp!

B

o

The first of the Beefsteaks:

Cucumbers, every day;

Sweet peppers, for dinner last night;

Corn, in the silk.

Steve

o

Here's why I like August: First Brandywine tomato, best crop I've had so far probably due to a very wet and humid July. This one weighs 12 oz.
Brandywine 2011

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here