Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesuko

Fruit Tree Recommendations for the Front Range

Lesuko
12 years ago

Hi All,

Finally we are able to add fruit trees in our yard. I've read that if you plant in early September, their roots will be strong enough to survive the winter, and get a head start on growth in the spring.

I'm wondering what does well and tastes well here. I've read some earlier postings on fruit trees but there are not very many on specific varieties and follow up progress. I've read various lists that recommend trees but wanted to see if anyone has actual experiences- I haven't tasted most of these varieties. The fruit trees will be for fun, eating, baking, and canning.

We are thinking about:

Apple: Cortland, honeycrisp, sweet 16

Cherry: Northstar (fireblight resistant), black tarterian was listed in other posts but no info on taste, fireblight, etc.

Peach: Reliance, July Elberta

Plum: Italian, Stanley, Mt. Royal (heard it was good but don't know how well it will do in CO)

Pears: recommended fireblight resistant are Magness, Moonglow, Starking Delicious but I've never had any of these. Anjou is moderately resistant.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh- our neighbor has fireblight on his apple tree but doesn't care enough to do anything about it. It will be only 30ft from where we plant and are worried our new trees will be susceptible.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Oh- our neighbor has fireblight on his apple tree but doesn't care enough to do anything about it. It will be only 30ft from where we plant and are worried our new trees will be susceptible.

Oh, yes. A wonderful incubator.

I'd start here and follow links therein. Your Co Extension is the best resource overall, some folks here have some of the vars listed in your OP. Surely if you get peach to bear reliably here everyone will want to know how you did it.

Dan

• bob_in_colorado
    12 years ago

The Mount Royal does very well here east of Colorado Springs (6718 feet), Zone 5a.

The plums aren't as big as American plums, but very sweet, juicy, firm flesh. Just be sure to prune it heavily every other year to keep a big harvest.

My last harvest was 40+ pounds. Plum crazy goodness!

• LeeCOLO5
    12 years ago

I've had great performance from Northstar and Montmorency cherries. You might consider Kefir Asian pear, started bearing quickly and has been a vigorous grower. (Unlike Bartlett, which bore well but suffered winter kill after five years.) I planted Gala and Fuji apples a dozen years ago, when they were first popular in the stores, and have been pleased with those trees' yield and health.

• Lesuko
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I haven't seen these varieties in stores to be able to taste them.

I'll look into the Kefir Asian pears. We have room for only 1 pear tree so hopefully it's self fruitful.

Pruning- still learning about this but we want to prune heavily to keep the trees small. If Mount Royals can survive your altitude they should be fine for Boulder- i hope that's how this works...

• LeeCOLO5
    12 years ago

Check with nursery on whether Kefirs are self fruitful ... I had the Bartlett nearby, and there are some ornamental pears down the block, so I can't tell you whether that's what's been doing it or not.

Seek out the dwarf fruit trees, you'll just have to prune suckers and for shape -- if you get semi dwarf or full-size, you'll have some seriously big trees, and you'll damage your fruit prospects by pruning to size. (I was surprised semi got as big as it does, but am very happy with the actual dwarf sized versions.)

Let us know what you decide on --