Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilacs from seed?

Posted by colokid 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 16:12

Any one start lilacs from seed..how hard? Fall or spring?
I have a couple of lilac bushes along my lot edge and would like to make the whole thing a continuous hedge. I see some seeds there and I could save them. I need like 15 or 20 plant to fill in the spaces. Or more. I do have a little green house if that would help.
KennyP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilacs from seed?

I bought lilac bushes from the Soil Conservancy, and they've done pretty well. I'm constantly pulling up baby lilacs, so it happens.

But from what I know, most people just dig up some of the shoots around the base of an established plant and go with that.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Kenny, if you want, I'll split my next order of 30 with you in the spring.

Barb

o

Now I know I am getting old, Barb and David. I never once though of the soil conservation. All I thought of was the box (ugh) stores. Thanks.
I might still grab the seeds and put them in a large tray in the green house over winter for the fun of it. The house next door has a new owner who is completely rebuilding it and mentioned a drip line down the line between our drive ways. that would be great, it sure needs it.
KennyP

o

I have no idea if a cold spell is necessary for the seeds to germinate, but I can't see how it would hurt. I'd wait until they're tan and dry on the bush, then put a handful in a plastic bag and freeze them for a month, then try to germinate them.

This year, we had a beautiful display on all the lilacs, and they're now all going to seed. If anybody needs a few dozen pounds of lilac seed........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here