Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatsivy

short lived scabiosa

eatsivy
14 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas about why we are having trouble with our scabiosa this year and last year? In previous years we have had great success with this plant, but the last two seasons the plants have wilted at this time of year.

I did a search and found some comments that some folks have had problems with mildew and leaf diseases - these problems seemed to be associated with times of the year when high heat and humidity were issues (by the way, most people reported that they had no problems growing Scabiosa).

We have been having hot weather and the plants do receive overhead water from irrigation, so I imagine we could be seeing problems associated with same. Really a nice plant when it is doing well, so we would enjoy finding out what we is doin' wrong. Thanks in advance if anyone has any suggestions. Chris

Comments (6)

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've never had any problems with scabiosa, but I looked to see what diseases it may be subject to. I found this-
    Scabiosa

Description:
    These prolific plants bloom early and heavy, and continue on a lesser degree if the spent flowers are cut. The flowers are long stemmed. The foliage is neat, forming a low mound of decorative leaves. Divide clump in spring every few years to rejuvenate the plant.

Common Name: Pincushion Flower
    Botanical Name: Scabiosa
    Type: Perennial
    Soil Preference: Prefers a well-drained, alkaline soil. Can tolerate some drought and will grow in dry to moist soils.
    Light Requirements: Full Sun to light shade
    Attributes: Attracts birds & butterflies, Deer resistant, Extended bloom season; Provides a source of nectar for bees and butterflies.
    Pests: Spider mites, slugs, vine weevil
    Diseases: Stem rot, mildew, leaf spot, anthracnose.
    Good Companion Plants: Bellflower, Daylily, Hardy Geranium, Lady's Mantle, Pinks
    Care: Divide clump in spring every few years to rejuvenate the plant. In spring, cut back to basal foliage. Dead-head spent flowers after blooming. Will not tolerate hot & humid conditions.

• eatsivy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you catladysgarden. I appreciate the help a lot! Best, Chris/eatsivy

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Hi Chris,

I dont know if youÂre having the same problem as I had, but last year I gave up on growing scabiosa. I love the flowers and the fact that it blooms for so long, but mine was always covered with mildew. When I moved in here I had a blue one, and for two or three years I fought the mildew. The plant almost always looked bad and just kept going downhill as the summer went on. The year before last I threw out the blue one and bought a brand new pink one. I planted it in a different place to keep it away from the mildew infected areaÂbut it didnÂt work! Within a couple months it, too, was covered with mildew! I kept it till the following spring to see what it would do, but nothing helped much with the mildew and I finally threw that one out too.

Based on personal experience, I have a different theory about mildew, though nothing seemed to help with the scabiosa. From all the things IÂve tried, keeping plants well watered and healthy is the best way to prevent mildew. Except for the scabiosa, the only time IÂve had a problem with mildew is when IÂm under watering things and theyÂre stressed. Watering overhead and temperature donÂt seem to make any difference when I keep the plants well watered. It even seems to help with things like zucchiniÂat least for most of the summer! Since IÂve been making sure thingsÂespecially mildew susceptible thingsÂare kept adequately watered, I havenÂt had any mildew on my roses, upright garden phlox (one plant!), or Thalictrum. The first few years I lived here they were all covered with mildew by mid summer.

My scabiosa was growing right at the bottom of my deck steps where I constantly go down to get into the backyard, and I wanted something there that would bloom a long time, so I decided to replace it with a Catananche, CupidÂs Dart. That was something I had always wanted anyway, and tho both the foliage and the flowers are very different from scabiosa, it blooms for a LONG time, and the flowers are way cool too. Mine was tiny last year, but is big and doing beautifully this year, and IÂve taken pictures, but theyÂre still in the camera! HereÂs a link to a pic I found online. The flowers are about an inch in diameter, and sit 14-16' above the narrow foliage on wiry stems. I planted the Catananche in the same place where the original mildew-infested scabiosa was, and I havenÂt had any problem with mildew on the CupidÂs Dart or anything else in that area since I took out the scabiosa. If I ever figure out how to grow it without mildew, IÂd love to have another oneÂor 10Âscabiosa again.

If you want something more similar to the scabiosa, StokeÂs Aster, Stokesia laevis has the most similar flower in size and form. I want one of those some day too, but havenÂt gotten around to it yet. DonÂt know if theyÂre susceptible to mildew, but I donÂt remember any problem with it when I was selling them.

Wish I had some happier information for you, but when IÂm growing flowers, itÂs to enjoy them, and when IÂm constantly fighting with them, IÂm not enjoying them very much!

Good luck with yours,
    Skybird

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

ROFL! I just came back here to make sure the link is working, and I reread my post-----and-----the flowers are NOT 14-16 FEET tall! They're 14-16 INCHES tall!

Oops,
    Skybird

• eatsivy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Skybird for the helpful post and ideas. I like your idea of using Catananche caerulea. Nice of you to post a pic too - lovely flowers. Best, Chris

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

Scabiosas have been pretty reliable here. Some of the newer ones are really pretty. I'm trying one called Beaujolais Bonnets, which is pink and maroon. It's quite vigorous and extremely pretty. It hasn't beenthrough a Winter yet. We'll see. I got it from Garden Crossings.

I've never had one mildew. I water a lot because the daylilies love water. I water overhead which is supposed to be a good way to get powdery mildew.

Skybird, I love Stokesia, but they're not reliably hardy for me.
    Karen