Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow lilies blooming now?

Posted by coloradobird 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 17:50

You know those tall gangly orange lilies (I've heard them called alley lilies)? Anyway, the shorter daylilies have stopped blooming now and I see these orange types around town. Today, I saw some that looked like the same species, but were a lovely pale yellow on much shorter stalks. The flowers were not overly small, but not as large as the daylilies I've seen. I've tried to search and find out what they are, but can't find them.

Anybody have an idea what those tall weedy lilies are called?

Thanks!!

P.S. My Asian lilies are flowering now, and they are SO gorgeous!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow lilies blooming now?

After researching a bit more, I don't think these are what some people call ditch lilies (not alley!), as they were in a lovely planting with a bunch of other perennials and ditch lilies are semi-invasive, I guess, so it's unlikely they would've been interplanted with the other perennials like that. They must've been something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

o

Are they true lilies---one stem with a bunch of flowers on top (rather than like daylilies with a lot of basal foliage and multiple stems)? If so they could possibly be yellow tiger lilies.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Tiger Lilies

o

Skybird,

Well, I'm not sure because I was driving past! If tiger lilies are blooming now, that could be what they were. I'll have to try to get a closer look next time I'm passing by (and hope I get a red light!--not what I usually hope for!).

Thanks for your response!

o

If your interested in buying some very exotic day lilies, yellow or otherwise....the day lily society is having their sale tomorrow,Aug 16 & 17 at Tagawa Gardens, from 10am - 4pm. As I recall you get 2 fans for $2.50. In addition, Tagawa has a half off sale starting the same day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here