Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliceg8

Container Gardening

aliceg8
15 years ago

Now that Bonnie's helped me post pictures again, here are some photos of some of the container gardening I've been doing this summer.

On my front porch - the ivy geranium is one I got on sale at the end of last year and then overwintered.

These plants along the driveway haven't turned out as nice as I'd like. It may be too hot for the nasturiums - they have little brown speckles on them and the flowers are kind of ugly. The tall Dahlia is being eaten by something (leaves) and the flowers aren't very nice. They brown before the blossom is fully open. But the petunias are doing nicely and the geranium in the pot of creeping Jenny is something I overwintered. There are also 3 scented geraniums which I just love!

I like this little combo on the other side of the driveway. It's in partial shade. Especially like the daisy color against the coleus. It doesn't show very well, but the flowers of the "Rosy Shades" viola are very sweet.

Up near the garage door is this grouping. I really like the red verbena against the dark sweet potato vine. The little violet flower is Scaevola aemula "New Wonder". In the background are lilies that were deep wine red and Clematis "Piilu"

This is on the front step also... very fond of the dark petunia against the sweet potato vine. It was kind of cloudy when I took this picture, but you get the idea.

And in the shade I have this big metal trunk. That's a Will Goodwin clematis in the background. Starting to brown out a bit... not sure what the problem is. The coleus hasn't done much all summer, finally starting to grow a little now. The creeping charlie is a late edition, and I really like it!

Alice

Comments (6)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Alice, your containers all look great, so big and full, and healthy! I tried making container combos out of annuals that I wintersowed, but I'm still waiting for blooms on some of them. They don't look near as filled in as yours do.

I haven't had any luck with Nasturtiums either. Two years in a row, they have germinated just fine, and then just sit there forever, never growing, then they finally just wither away.

I love the Coleus with the African daisies. Do you know which kind it is? The Petunias with the Sweet Potato Vine really stand out, and so does that red Verbena with the darker Sweet Potato Vine. Great job! You have a good eye for container combos.

I thought about posting a couple of mine, but mine look pretty wimpy compared to yours!

Thanks for sharing!

Bonnie

BTW, the Cosmidium has buds on it and should start blooming any day now. I'll post a picture of it on the "Family Tree" thread when it does.

• aliceg8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Bonnie, that's great on the Cosmidium. None of mine made it, so I can't wait to see your pictures.

I'm in the same boat as you really, with a lot of my annuals. Except for your Sherbert Fizz in one container, all the annuals I sowed and tried putting in containers are just so far behind. All the nice stuff you see is store bought. :(

The Osteopermum is "Orange Symphony" and the Coleus is "Royal Glissade". I just love Osteopermums. Last year I had just 1, this year 2. Next year, I'm going to put in a dozen!

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I think the biggest disappointment with growing my container plants from seed has been with the vining things. I WS'd both Helichrysum 'Silver Mist' and Dichondra 'Silver Falls' and they are both about 3" tall now. They might actually spill over the side by our first frost ... maybe, LOL.

What I'd love to find is a perennial that would have the same effect, so that I don't have to buy new ones every year.

Here is a close up of some wintersown annuals in a container that are actually blooming. It's Gazania 'Daybreak Mix' with Petunia 'Prism Sunshine'.
    {{gwi:214233}}

I couldn't find seeds for 'Orange Symphony', but I did order Osteospermum 'African Sun' for next year, plus about 20 more annuals I haven't tried yet : ) I'm already thinking about next years container combos!

Bonnie

• jnfr
    15 years ago

Beautiful!

• aliceg8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh man Bonnie!!! I fell in love with the gazania's I had last year (store bought). So I harvested seeds, plus bought some seeds with the notion of having a lot more. Well. Humph! I got a few plants and put them out and they're very small and spindly. One or two ar showing the first blossoms, but they are very small (about a silver dollar size). So next year I guess it's back to store bought.

Alice

• nicole__
    15 years ago

Beautiful mixing of the red flowers and gray-green foliage. There is a container garden forum. I invite you to join us over there.