Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

pumpkins, watermelons, and gourds - oh my!

mstywoods
13 years ago

Our vegetable garden is doing really well, thanks to my husband Steve. This has been mostly his project, and he did a lot of prep work to the soil, planting seeds to start in the garage, weeding, etc., etc. My part is the harvesting and cooking!

Here are some pics I took this afternoon. The heat wilts the leaves a bit at this time of day, but by evening they are looking fine. Our pumpkins, watermelons, and gourds are growing like gangbusters! We have several pumpkins and watermelons on the vines, and the gourds are just starting to form. Steve started training the gourd vine up along the fence so it would get enough sun - the pumpkin and watermelon vines were starting to cramp them a bit. Looks like it likes it!!

Maybe I'll be able to bring a pumpkin and/or watermelon for eating at the fall swap.

One of our several watermelons that are coming along nicely!

We have about 4 or 5 pumpkins that are already starting to turn orange. The one in the pic isn't real big (about 22" around), but it's not as tiny as it looks in the pic.

Our gourds trained up along the fence line. The fruit is just now starting to form.

View of about half of our vegetable garden. We have broccoli, swiss chard, beans, carrots, chives, tomatoes, pumpkins, watermelon, gourds, potatoes, cantalope, lettuce, and peppers.