Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachespoe

Help me select the right lawn for my high altitude home

peachespoe
10 years ago

Hi! I am new to posting on this forum but have been reading it for some time. I would love some help figuring out what type of lawn to plant here in zone 3 (creeping up to a 4) Wyoming (6000ft).

We are getting ready to seed a new lawn (about 2000 sq. ft) in the back of our house. We have killed all the existing vegetation, added amendments, raked out the rocks, and installed a sprinkler system. I have purchased 4 bags of Strawnet to mulch over the seed once it has been laid down.

We would like to spread the seed soon before temps drop too much. I am having the hardest time deciding on what kind of seed to plant. These are our criteria:

-Would like to reduce mowing to 1 every 2 wks (ideally).
-Cut down on our water usage but will water if/when necessary.
-Medium amount of traffic...a 4 year old doing cartwheels but no dogs. May want to have some lawn chairs scatted around.
-We are against using weed and feed type chemicals so will hand weed, but prefer a healthy turf that will out compete weeds. Willing to spread corn gluten meal.
-Clay soil but good drainage.
-Mostly sunny, but in a few years will have filtered shade for a few hours everyday from Aspens (yes, I know they will grow into the lawn).
-Stay pretty green and soft during the heat of the summer. July can have weeks with the high temps in the 80s and 90s.

I am considering the following mixes: Eco Lawn by Wildflower Farms; Enviro-turf by Bluestem nursery; Defiance XRE Blue; Seedland Traditional Fine Fescue Seed Mix; a Tall Fescue mix from a local nursery; or may look for a dwarf Tall fescue blend. I would also considering mixing any of these or even my own.

Anyone used any of these mixes? Anyone LOVE their lawn and want to share what kind of seed they used...Tall fescue, fine fescue, bluegrass, etc.?

Thanks for you help! (I also posted this one the Lawn Forum).

Comments (5)