Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
day lilies after hail

Posted by steviewonder 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 19:25

Hello folks, I live in Berthoud and my yard and garden were completely pulverized by hail last month. The day lilies were just blooming, and they were stripped clean. They are looking pretty sad right now. Any advice regarding fertilizing? I would like to give them a boost before winter but I know you are not supposed to fertilize a stressed plant. Should I wait until next year to fertilize them? Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: day lilies after hail

Hi Stevie,

Just off the top of my head - they are not suffering root damage. They are not suffering from disease or drought. They are still several weeks from frost, right?

I don't think you should hesitate to feed them.

It reminds me of the times Benjamin Bunny has stripped every leaf from the broccoli. I have still had a good crop after fertilizing and hilling around the plants.

Steve

o

Seems to me that fertilizer would do them some good if it's not to intense. I like to think of fertilizer as vitamins for plants. And I take my vitamins everyday!

o

Thanks guys, we'll see how it works out. Poor things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here