Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Ground Cover

mary_max
15 years ago

I have a ground cover that is in various places in my beds. It is now starting to show some tiny yellow buds. It looks almost like a jade. I went to library and found a ground cover in a book that looks similar and it was called bearberry but then read it had pink flowers not yellow. Anyone know what this might be. If it is simply a weed I really need to get it out but for some reason I dont think it is. I would post a picture but dont seem to be able to do so. If someone here is really good with plants I can email you a picture of what I have. Thanks so much.

Comments (12)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Here is a thread on how to post pictures using hosting sites like photobucket.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

There is a weed here that has succulant looking leaves, similar to jade's leaves, but I don't know the name of it. I looked up photos of bearberry, but it didn't look quite like what I'm thinking of. A picture would definitely help us ID it.

Bonnie

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Is is purslane? google "wild purslane" and hit images.

I'd link to it, but for some reason, the thing I'd have to paste is about a yard long.

• emagineer
    15 years ago

David, the long length of the link is because it includes the google image search info. Which will also be included in Page Info if select an image link and right click on one of the images. A short link should show up at the top of an image link selected "somewhere" depending upon MSN, Netscape, etc....just for future info.

• mary_max
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow David you are so right! That is what it is. So I wonder if the birds brought it in to my garden? I have not seen it before and do not see it in other gardens (perhaps they tear it out). So now what? Would you folks recommend I keep it? I actually like the looks of it. I really want to thank you guys for helping me out on this. Thanks so much!

• jclepine
    15 years ago

We were walking the dogs, which is when I like to babble to my boyfriend about what was posted on the garden forum, when I realized that there were only two low-growing jade-like plants I could think of that might be your plant; sedum and purslane. Hey, I like being right, even if I'm only half right :)

I like having a little bit of it around. It hasn't taken over, it just seems to come back to the same spot and then goes away in winter. Mine hasn't bloomed but I have a very short growing period.

They say you can eat it. I've had it and think it is a bit slimy, almost like okra's slime.

I just did some research on it last week as I was trying to decide if I was going to pull it or leave it. According to wikipedia, it has such good fatty acids (or something like that) that I am planning on leaving it and adding a small amount to our salads.

I'll put a link to what I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purslane on the Wiki

• mary_max
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BJGreen thanks for the link to help post pictures. jclepine the picture that I found from the link you shared is exactly what I have. You guys are good at knowing your plants. I think I will keep it around. I like what I see so far. Better than weeds!

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

That's definitely the plant I was talking about. I had no idea that it was in the Portulaca family. Probably because I've never let it grow long enough to see it bloom. Thank you for posting the question Mary, I've learned a little something today!

Bonnie

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

That's what my neighbor made me pull out. I was gonna let it go cuz I thought it was my sedum cutting growing like crazy. That makes the second "plant" he said was a weed. The other was with my shasta daisy and he swore it was a weed because it was three feet taller than the other stalks even though the leaves were the same. I'll have to remember to distract him with a beer next time...

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

If you've let that go to seed in a bed where you're trying to direct-sow beets or chard or something, it can be a real mess - speaking from recent, vivid experience here.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I barely have enough room for the things I'm trying to grow, so no room for strays, cute or not : )

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi Mary,

I WAY second what David said! If you let it go to seed, you'll regret it. I never realized that was purslane, I've always just called it weed portulaca, but it shows up here and there all over my yard and I always pull it as soon as I see it.

If you want to keep it, just snip off the buds or flowers.

Skybird

P.S. Daffy, your "shasta" was probably oxeye daisy, which is a noxious weed in Colorado---and lots of other places too. Come to the swap and I'll give you a baby 'Becky'---a REAL shasta daisy! :-)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry