Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meteor04

I Finally....

meteor04
15 years ago

Got a decent cucumber out of the garden today! Was out doing my afterwork inspection and found a decent sized slicer hideing under some leaves. Gonna have it for dessert tonight.

Hopefully I'll get more before frost.

How's everyone else cucs been treating you?

Comments (6)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi Meteor,

I finally got the first couple about two weeks ago, and now IÂm starting to get up to the "more than I can use" stage. But they were definitely slower this year than previous years. Just last week the first one got to the top of the fence and IÂve flipped it over so the neighbors can pick anything that grows on their side. They seem to be growing like mad finally. All three varieties are supposed to be seedless, but they ALL get seeds if they get big enough! IsnÂt there some kind of a Truth in Gardening law? How can they sell something with seeds as seedless! I sure wish I could get seeds for the "English" cucumbers they sell in the stores that REALLY donÂt get seedsÂeven when theyÂre BIG!

My tomatoes and summer squash seemed to be slower this year than other years too, but even they are finally starting to do pretty well.

Enjoy your dessert tonite,
    Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Missed out on the first planting. Nothing on the 2nd planting. And heard from neighbor up the road that the only way to eat cucumbers is to slice them up and soak them over night in red wine vinegar, in the fridge.

• meteor04
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ended up haveing one of the 2 cukes I picked tonight with a Pink Brandywine tom. Sort of an extremely rough cut salad...WOW! Both were heavenly with just touch of salt.

I think the rains of this past weekend will help me see more cucs.

• digit
    15 years ago

Third lemon cucumber showed up today. They are the slow ones with the large plants. Others are doing nicely including the "burpless" one. So, I get a few every few days. If I burp, I'll contact an attorney! My early cuke (Speedway) this year isn't . . . may need to go back to Raider. This isn't how I planned it . . .

I had an Armenian cucumber a couple of days ago. It was mild to the point of being uninteresting. Shoot! Guess I'll try another one in a few days and hope for better.

I had half a Golden Sweet Asian melon tonight. It was pretty but not sweet, with pale greenish white flesh. I could almost include it with a survey of cucumbers . . . I guess I just did.

digitS'

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I planted five different types of cucumbers, three were bush or semi-bush, and two vining types.

Spacemaster - grew this one last year, they really took off last week, and I have about 4 of them in the fridge right now, can't eat them fast enough! They are very crisp, not a lot of seeds, and no bitterness yet. Best of all, the kids will eat them!!!

Little Dillicious - not as small a plant as the packet says, it's trying to take over, and the cukes are just now starting to get some size, so haven't tasted this one yet.

Homemade Pickles - growing in about six directions, fighting it out with Little Dillicious, has tons of cukes on them, which are almost ready. I told my son to plan on us making pickles one afternoon after school this week. Wish me luck, I've never canned anything before!

Lemon, and Diva - These two were started in containers, because they are vining types and needed to go where the peas were. The peas took so long to start producing, by the time I finally got these two in the ground, both of the transplants died. I direct seeded a second one of each, but they are still small, and the other cukes are growing right over the top of them, so I'd be surprised if I got anything from either one of these.

So there's my cuke report,
    Bonnie

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Steve, those Asian melons will, at some point, go from cucumberish to really, really sweet.