Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The enormous tomato plant

Posted by gjcore 5 Aurora Co. (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 21:12

One of my tomato plants, a hybrid Momotaro, is getting really large about 6 feet tall and 8 feet wide and not very many tomatoes. I've been using my modified version of the Florida weave. I've done very little fertilizing in the area for more than a year. What little fertilizing I've done is Age Old Organics 2-3-3 maybe twice in late spring. I know that this is a sign of too much nitrogen. Several times this year I've tried to flush the area with the watering wand set to soak.

Is there anything else I can do? Remove the ~10 tomatoes growing on it and hope that it will encourage more fruiting? Remove the whole plant and start some fall veges soon? Or something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The enormous tomato plant

Some varieties do that. I grow Pink Climber and by mid-september, its 10 feet draped up one side of the support and down the other.

I'd cut off the growing tips, ease off on the watering, which theoretically prods the plant to start fruiting. So they say.

o

I agree with David. Some plants are plain stingy. For years, I heard about Aunt Gertie's Gold. Pfffttt. Two years running, one tomato and huge plants. It is disappointing, but sometimes that's what happens.

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 1:47

I altered the irrigation to water less and cut back the growing tips. Will see what happens. I'm somewhat tempted to remove it but will give it until about the end of this month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here