Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kvenkat_gw

Calling all Denver-area gardeners!!

kvenkat
11 years ago

I have been part of the RMG forum and attending the spring and fall plant swaps in the Denver area for the last couple years. Always such a treat to meet forum members in person and be the recipient of many wonderful plants. At the fall swaps, one of our members, Karen aka catladysgarden, has generously shared HUNDREDS of daylilies dug from her American Hemerocallis Society Display Garden. This summer I had the opportunity to view her open garden in Aurora near I-70 and Chambers and talk to her briefly. She described to me how this year has been very challenging for her in terms of her health and ability to keep up with the needs of her amazing gardens.

As a lucky receiver of some of her daylilies, I thought it might be nice to "return the favor", so to speak and see if I could rustle up some volunteers to join me on Sundays in September to help Karen with her gardening chores. The main tasks would be to cut down spent daylily foliage and weed the beds. This needs to get done before frost. Once this is accomplished, a layer of manure gets spread throughout the garden.

Will you join me?

If you can spare a few hours on a September Sunday or two, let me know! You can reply to this thread or PM me.

Thanks so much and happy gardening!

Comments (14)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

kvencat, count me in!

It seems reasonable to give back a bit to Karen, an amazingly generous person. I would venture to say there are very few of us swappers that don't have a few daylilies in our gardens thanks to her.

I can receive emails through this site, so shoot me one when we have some dates. From the looks of the trees, it's going to be an early fall and we don't want to be caught scrambling to get it done. Thanks for starting this thread, it's wonderful idea!

Barb

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    11 years ago

Count me in as well. Karen is a wonderful, generous, dedicated gardener. Best weekends for me are the 16th or 30th.
    Feel free to email me through the site.

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Count me in as well - I'll do my best to be there!

Marj

• kvenkat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, this is great! thank you!

Since the first Sunday in September is Labor Day weekend, could we start the next Sunday the 9th?
    Are you all able to meet in the morning for an orientation session? Say 9 AM so we can end the day before it gets too hot?
    Will this work?

Kim

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Kim - I think I can make it that day, but will get back to you for sure later. Out of town on business and pleasure this coming week.

Thanks for organizing this!

Marj

• kvenkat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

First meeting and orientation!
    Sunday, September 9 at 9AM.

We will meet at Karen's gardens and work until about noon or 12:30. After this, the plan is to meet every Sunday in September until the job gets done. If you can only spare a few hours here and there, that's okay! Every little bit helps!
    Karen has gardening tools we can use.

The address is:

15643 E. 35th Place
    Aurora, CO 80011

If I can find my big jug, I will bring some lemonade.
    Thanks again and see you soon!
    Kim

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

I can't make it this weekend, but I'll shoot for next Sunday.

Marj

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

I have to work this Sunday but count me in for next Sunday and after!

• kvenkat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, the first gathering is tomorrow at 9 AM!
    Same place and time for next Sunday too.
    Come when you can! :-)

Kim

• kvenkat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tomorrow is the next gathering!
    We start at 9 am. See above post for address.
    See you there!

Kim

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Glad you posted this, Kim - I was wondering if there was still stuff to do. I'll be there tomorrow, and can put in about an hour. I'll bring my gloves and knee pad - anything else I should bring?

Marj

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Hi Kim and Elizabeth. Great working with you on Sunday! We made a lot of progress, but I know still a lot left to do. At least we got that one whole row completed, and I imagine you two made a good dent in another after I left. Think we may need to go into Oct. to complete?

Marj

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

I enjoyed working with you and Kim, too, Marj. We did get around 1/2 way through a 2nd row after you left, plenty more to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see it lasting into October! See you guys there next Sunday!

• kvenkat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Next gathering is tomorrow! 9 am or thereabouts.

We have made great strides but there is still lots to do!
    There are only 2 more Sundays left in September. I will be out of the country for most of October but things can carry on without me if there are folks who have time next month.
    PM me with questions.
    See you tomorrow!

Kim