Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boysenberries, Tayberries, Loganberries, Marionberries

Posted by Bob_In_Colorado 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 22:24

I just received my shipment of these new berries that I'm excited to grow. They arrived well packaged, 1-gallon containers.

Has anyone grown these? Any advice?

In addition to the addition of organic matter, well drained soil, mulch, blah blah blah, does anyone have any good tips for any or all of these varieties?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boysenberries, Tayberries, Loganberries, Marionberries

I don't have anything to say other than, "Bob, that is one interesting collection!" Now I'll bramble along about not much of anything . . .

All are hybrids of the blackberry . . . I think they may be all hybrids of the raspberry, also. All, somewhat different and somewhat similar. All good in cobblers!!

I grew up in southern Oregon and lived for awhile on the northern California coast - blackberry heaven! We pulled blackberries out of our upper pasture with the tractor. They had taken over nearly half of the backyard at the home I moved to in California! Had to go after them with brushkiller!

What I can think of is that they must need plenty of water. The wild vines that show up here - maybe carried by birds from 100's of miles west - cannot produce berries unless they are growing beside a leaking irrigation pipe.

Now, I'll stop. After all, you are talking about cultivars.

Steve
Photobucket

o
RE: Boysenberries, Tayberries, Loganberries, Marionberries

Your 'brambling' is really quite annoying! Bramble, bramble, bramble.

LOL. just kidding. Great pun!

The most important thing I've read is to baby them the first couple years, keep up with pruning and they'll last years and years and years.

I'm going to get some gorilla hair mulch or western red cedar and mulch the heck out of them before winter.

I'm most excited about tasting the boysen and Tay berries. I hear they are to die for.

I also added a Cumberland and Munger type of black raspberries. I hear black raspberries are unlike anything else and they taste like candy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here