Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

weather

digit
12 years ago

I am going to see if this "sticker" updates over time . . . it is 78F in Denver as of 8:20PM at this moment.

(It would be interesting . . . okay, maybe only to me . . . if GW allows this sort of thing. ;o)

I am sorry if this may seems OT to some. But, we do enjoy talking about the weather around here! If this sticker will update continuously, we would have current conditions to reference every time we wanted to make a comment on local weather.

Steve

Comments (19)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

I see 8.40. My two local MesoWest stations read much higher temps, as do my two FireFox apps and my house thermometers...

Our weather is much different that yours, Steve. My friends in Wenatchee area are behind us this year.

Nonetheless, cool sticky! Surely that will be some of our signature lines for local stations!

Dan

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan!

The sticky now says, "75F @ 9:00PM" !

The dang thing updates on a GW thread!

Steve

Weather near my garden at 8:10, 74F - it says!

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stickies now say:

Denver, 73F at 9:30PM

Hauser Lake, 70F at 8:35

!

I guess I should have made both in Mountain Time so there wouldn't be that confusion . . . This isn't just in my 'puter, right? The stickies you see in this thread are updating every few minutes, yes?

The possibilities are unlimited! I'm looking for a "This Day in History" sticky! Okay, okay . . . that's really OT. Well . . . nothing much else occurs to me . . .

Maybe a webcam sticky! One for my garden . . . this might be the equivalent of watching paint peel . . .

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! I don't know why I didn't rush right here this morning to learn that it is 70F in Denver at 8:40 MT and,

63F at 7:40 PT in my garden!

Now, what other possibilities are there available for GW??

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • jnfr
    12 years ago

I do love a good weather widget!

Still pretty hot and mostly dry at our house in Westminster. Cooled down from the hot hot weather just enough that my tomatoes and peppers started setting tons of fruit, so I'm a happy gardener.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

Well, it does update, Digit, but I'm not sure where they're getting the temps from! Here at my house (north end of Metro Denver) it's 73 right now (1030 MDT), and your Pastie says it's 81! At DIA--the airport, where our "official" temps come from) it's 78 right now, and "downtown" (they actually take the temp from Olde Stapleton, our old airport where our old "official" temps USED to come from!) it's 77 right now! They could be getting it from right in the middle of downtown somewhere--in the Concrete Tomb--where it's always several degrees hotter than anywhere else around here!

I was surprised Dan said he was hotter than it showed last nite, 'cause the couple times I looked, I was considerably cooler than it said at the time. I'm curious how the temp they show for Hauser compares to the temp you actually have in your yard!

Cute little thing, but with so much variation in a Big City, I'm not sure it's gonna tell you too accurately what most of us have.

Skybird

Uh! Could you run the whole show??? Live long and prosper!!!

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What really surprises me is that GW somehow allows the updates! I have been a GW member since Nov, 2002 and don't see much change in 9 years. I guess that makes me really behind the times . . .

No, temperatures are variable across a region. What I usually use for the garden conditions is East Farms on WeatherUnderground but the stickies (widgets :o) are things I have no experience with and what I get when trying to use that address is: Data Unavailable.

The one above for Denver is just their "CO/Denver" and I have no idea whatsoever on how to get specific neighborhoods. Still, WeatherUnderground has all of these volunteers with their at-home weather stations reporting conditions. They are all available for us to look at on the web.

If you would like me to try a specific community just post a name and I will see if it turns up on WU . . .

As for my yard, it still hasn't hit 70F this morning. Hauser Lake is now 74.

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • mstywoods
    12 years ago

Ooo, and you can pick from many sticker styles!

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Let's see if I can figure this out ...

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marj, I don't even know where you got that!

I tried to come up with a clock for a thread. (Maybe it could be used for a swap - count down to the day/hour.) But, GW wouldn't allow the string.

I don't know if these will work as links . . . doesn't look like a link on "preview."

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No.

Marj & Bonnie have posted links.

Hmmm! Well, I could link the images to something else but that might not be helpful.

Quickly, it all moves beyond me . . .

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

The Aurora one is interesting, the two MesoWest stations in the SE read 2-3deg less, my house is 4deg less, one of my FireFox add-ons is 3deg less...still a hoot tho

Dan

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohh! Wunderground has a sticker page!

And Yellowstone . . . tide's in.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Wunderground sticker page

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Okay, Steve, I thought you were posting from the sticker page too, but just realized that yours looks different. How did you do yours?

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it was rather crude but . . .

I swiped them off a thread on the "test forum," Bonnie.

I was curious if these stickies would update. Rather than checking back there, I just right-clicked the images and used the code forced into GW's requirements to post a few of the stickies, myself. Darned if they don't update!

The test forum has some people (I don't think it would hurt their feelings to call them strange people) who use it for socializing. Some of them have computer skill quite a bit beyond average.

Anyway, GW set up its forums with html code, if I understand correctly. That is the same as is used on webpages. GW must automatically deny the posting of some of the code but it obviously allows some of what would normally appear on a webpage rather than a place where people basically just write about things.

If I wasn't so sleepy, maybe I could think of a relevant use for the widgets but . . . .

(snore . . . )

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather, test forum

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

37F in Yellowstone this morning. 48F. here.