Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susana_2006

plants that thrive on neglect?

susana_2006
15 years ago

My son has recently bought a home in the Golden area. He has a small yard. He is interested in gardening, but tends to not always follow through with the care and watering necessary.

I'm wondering what plants in this region can thrive on some neglect. In the midwest where I'm from I would go for daylilies, sedum -- of various types, coneflowers, rudbeckia. The selfseeders feverfew, hollyhock, morning glory.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of English ivy on the property. It, of course, thrives way too much. I battled that for decades in my mother's California garden, so I'm not crazy about seeing it here.

Any suggestions about good strong plants for this region would be appreciated.

Thanks

Susan

Comments (18)

• digit
    15 years ago

I think an important question is, will he either pull weeds or put down a mulch?

digitS'
    a guy outside of CO

• susana_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, pulling weeds and using mulch are part of the plan. I'd just like to know the names of some super thrivers for this area, before investing in "mistakes" (as I've done many times in the past)
    Thanks
    Susan

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Well, even if he remembers to water occasionally, you would still want to stick with xeric plants in this area. I've linked a list put out by Ken-Caryl Ranch Parks District, which lists low water trees, shrubs, and perennials, and ornamental grasses which you might find helpful.

Even if you choose xeric perennials though, they still will need some attention, such as occasional deadheading and dividing. If he isn't willing to do that, I would stick with shrubs, ornamental grasses, and ground covers.

The lowest maintenance things in my garden are my 'Overdam' and 'Karl Foerster' ornamental grasses, yarrows, sedums (both upright and groundcover types), and other succulents, such as Hens & Chicks and Iceplants. Everything else has to be deadheaded throughout the summer to stay looking good.

Hope this helps,
    Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Xeric Trees/Shrubs/Perennials

• windwhipped
    15 years ago

Susan,

Actually, the plants you list yourself will do pretty well here. And highalt has referred you to a good list, too. So I will just add a few things that haven't been mentioned yet

1) Russian sage is a beautiful shrub that blooms a gorgeous purple from late July on. It requires almost no care (you can cut it down in early spring, or not, as you choose) and little water. It's only problem is that it has become very popular and is somewhat overused.

2) I like agastaches, too. Another late summer bloomer that requires little to no care. Check out the website at High Country Gardens to see all the new varieties. (In fact, HCG is a great resource for this area.) I got Rosita this year, and will be buying more of it next year.

3) Gaillardia do very well here and bloom all summer. You do need to deadhead, though, otherwise they will reseed all over. But I actually let them do that in order to get new plants, and they are easy to pull out if they land where you don't want them.

4) Kniphofia (red hot poker) is another good no-work plant. I don't do anything but cut off the stalks after the flowers have faded.

5) Not xeric, but a good all summer bloomer, hardy geranium Rosanne.

6) Irises also do well here, if he is willing to dig and divide every few years.

In general, soil here in the Rockies is very alkaline, so try to avoid plants that require acid soil. Also, a lot of us are digging in heavy clay which can limit your choices. And do remember that even the xeric plants need regular water for the first year or two - maybe he can get a drip hose system that will make it easier for him.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Oh, I just thought of another late bloomer that is carefree, to add to Windwhipped's list - Solidago.

I wasn't thinking of late bloomers. I guess I assumed he wanted blooms throughout the summer, which requires more effort.

• jaliranchr
    15 years ago

I love my various kinds of artemesia in addition to ones already mentioned. Tangerine and Seafoam are two of my favorites.

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

Bluebells of Scotland, Ajuga and Sunset Hyssop have done well for me and I generally ignore them. I do pull out the woody stems on the bluebells when I notice them.

• susana_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the great list. These are plants I really like.

Am surprised about the Ajuga doing well here, because I love it and my shade in Iowa seems to be too dry for it there.
    Susan

• digit
    15 years ago

Susan, as my 2 cents (thanks for the quick response to my question) here's a website called "Plant Select" that may be of some help.

I tried for 2 years to start ajuga in Dad's northern Idaho front yard under a spruce, pruned high. After a dozen or so plants - there's one left. So . . . I don't know, I'd sure be happy to see it grow there.

Reseeding gaillardia is a good way to keep what are short-lived perennials going in my flower garden.

digitS'

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

I'm thinkin' if he just sticks to the big 3, he'll have no problems.

Bindweed, thistle, and cheatgrass.

• davies-cc
    15 years ago

I'll just put in a plug for Oriental poppies. They like some fairly regular water in the Spring, but not much else, and nothing shouts "Spring" like those bad boys!

On the down side, they are a little hard to get started sometimes. In my experience, potted plants put out in the Fall are the best bet. Also they die back in the heat of summer and don't look so good then, so something like those daylilies you mention might be good mixed in with them. But you get big bright blooms, and they've been pretty low maintenance for me.

• susana_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for the great suggestions.

Actually, I find the bindweed here in Colorado rather pretty -- we don't have it in Eastern Iowa.

I agree about how lovely the Oriental Poppies are. I've not had good luck with the cultivars I've tried in Iowa. But I have a stand of the old fashioned Orange that always puts on a spectacular show.
    Susan

• amester
    15 years ago

Susan, my whole front yard is thriving on neglect! It's all xeric, gets watered maybe twice a year, and I get lots of volunteers. Your son is welcome to come by and dig some things up if he'd like to. Some will be little, some will be fully grown but they'll all be free! :) I can spare at least one of everything I have (valerian, hyssop, catmint, sundrops, callirhoe, penstemon, salvia, etc.) and multiples of many. They will self-sow to some extent but I like them that way.
    Golden's lovely, I hope he's enjoying the view!

• susana_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amester:

Thanks so much for your kind offer. Your yard sounds wonderful. I'm back in Iowa now, but would love to extend your offer to my son.
    You could e-mail me (Susan_Armitage@hotmail.com) and perhaps we could arrange something.
    Thanks again.

Susan

• stevation
    15 years ago

David, you crack me up! :-D

• jclepine
    15 years ago

Susan,
    This reply is late, sorry!
    I was just browsing HighCountryGardens.com for roses and browsed their "pre-planned" section. They have simple prep-planned xeric gardens! I notice two that are xeric and thought of your post. If you are think he might be interested, I've put the link to the page down below. I've never actually ordered from them but I've heard good things about them.
    Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: pre-planned, including two xeric scapes

• digit
    15 years ago

I was digging out a bed where I'd moved iris today and thought of this post. Since no one seems to have mentioned Spring bulbs and I was a little panicked that I may have just killed some . . . thought I'd mention.

Wood hyacinths grow in 2 places in my yard and were here 12 years ago when I moved in. There are also grape hyacinths that pop up most everywhere including places I never saw them before but the wood hyacinths stay put and seem quite special to me. (When they bloom, I know that warm weather is finally at hand. :o)

An odd crocus or 2 are around (even Fall crocus) but I don't get too worked about them. What I do especially appreciate are the Red Emperor tulips. I've planted those but have a couple that were here when I moved in - under a climbing rose and in a bed of roses that I planted in the front yard.

There's also some in the lawn (!) in the backyard. I will "fiddle" some with that one rather than mowing over it so that it blooms and the foliage matures.

It's probably rather silly to value these common bulbs left over from when Olive and Carl lived here (thru nearly 60 years). I'm probably a little too sentimental. But, as I said, I've planted Red Emperor myself in other locations and gardens. I appreciate varieties that have an interest in growing rather than those that require "fiddling." (That is, of course, unless they have the cards stacked against them by being surrounded by lawn grass or trying to survive sub rosa.)

Steve's digits.
    You had a birthday recently Susan. I hope it was a happy one.

• susana_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for mentioning the High Country Gardens -- good information there.

Also the spring and fall bulbs -- some are so hardy and reliable. It's always fun to see the spring bulbs reappear each year. Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    Susan