Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
did I goof?

Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 22:46

My bee balm got 4' tall this year and I jsut went out and cut most of it down. It's quit blooming. I'm hoping it will come back and bloom again for fall? So did I goof? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: did I goof?

So, um, if somebody says that you did goof, are ya gonna glue 'em back together? ;-)

Nope! You didn't goof! It's in the mint family, and it's pretty hard to hurt it! If you didn't already, go back and cut it down to about an inch above the ground. It's going to grow back up from the crown, and if you leave taller stems, they'll just sit there looking ugly for the rest of the year--and even if they do start to get some new growth out of the old stems, the old stem part will still look bad. If the old stems are gone, and all the new growth comes from the base, it'll look nice for the rest of summer, even if it doesn't rebloom. I've never grown it myself--because of the mildew problem and the potential invasiveness of it, and I can't remember if it usually rebloomed in pots or not--but I think not!

You done good,
Skybird

o
RE: did I goof?

Ok thanks. I didn't want to kill it. It has been so pretty and full. I didn't cut it back all the way but will today. Thanks again skybird.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here