Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Everlastings?

Posted by digit ID/WA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 22:57

Didn't include statice in the picture -- low statice, high statice . . . statice quo.

How about everlastings in your garden??

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Everlastings?

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 22:21

Everlastings? I have bindweed does that count?

o

I planted those the past couple of years. My seed packet calls them strawflowers. They are odd, papery when fresh and unexpectedly fragrant.
Steviewonder

o

My little trick with strawflowers is to cut them just as they begin to open. Waiting just a day or 2 longer may result in kind of a "fully blown" flower, with an empty center.

The stems, which look so heavy when they are fresh, shrivel up to practically nothing. They can be replaced by florist wire quite easily or . . . you can take all the brightly colored flower heads and just toss them in a big, clear glass container - kind of like a jar of colossal jelly beans!

I've grown Acroclinium, also. They stems are even more fragile with those and they aren't nearly as colorful as strawflowers. Gomphrena can also be used but I also like the looks of them in the garden. I enjoyed growing the "Strawberry Fields" variety but having to nearly lie down on the ground to cut these 2 everlastings is a little tough.

Ageratum fits in the low growers group. Stevie, you might not like the smell of ageratum. It is just a little weird. Lavender can probably make up for anything, tho'!

I've got celosia again this year. The "feather" type is so nice for small fresh bouquets, I haven't hung much of it under the roof yet. Besides, there haven't been a whole lot of blooms as it is still busy growing. Would it surprise you if I said that I don't care much for the looks of the cockscomb types?

Steve

o

I don't care for the cockscomb type flower either-- too brainy. But now that you mention the ageratum, I'm going to have to check it out. What's that in the photo with the dill-y foliage? That is interesting.
Steviewonder

o

Those are nigella seedpods, Stevie.

The "dill-y like foliage" and the pretty flower that sits in the middle of it, inspires the name: love-in-a-mist.

Sometimes people call it nigella even when it is in the flowering stage but I think that name is too good to pass up.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here