Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Your favorite new discovery this year?

highalttransplant
14 years ago

I tried a lot of new to me things this year, and this is just a summary of how they turned out.

parsnips - still waiting on them

radishes - like the purple globe type, not as crazy about the white, carrot shaped ones

cauliflower - took up a huge amount of space, and I got one tiny head about the size of my fist

summer savory - really like the flavor, a cross between oregano and marjoram

winter savory - didn't get to taste any. The grasshoppers mowed most of it down. There is one tiny sprout left, but not sure it will survive.

chamomile - I was hoping to make some tea, but I only got about a tablespoon full of flowers. I'll probably try again, but plant a larger quantity of it.

okra - died

beets - leaf miner magnet. Didn't really get to eat any of them.

lime basil - I love this one! The smell is way better than the lemon, more subtle and tropical smelling. Great in fish and chicken dishes. Wondering what a lime basil pesto might taste like ... hmmmmm.

beans - tried several new to me kinds. Grasshoppers have eaten all but 3 or 4 plants.

The most pleasant surprise of all so far this year, wasn't something I grew from seed. I went by a local organic nursery/orchard to try to find a few more peppers to fill up some of the empty space at my community garden plot. All she had were hot peppers, but then she suggested I try a ground cherry plant. I had never even heard of it. It looks like a miniature tomatillo with the paper husks, but has a sweet, tropical flavor. Well, we've eaten three handfulls so far, and the kids and I love them. I went back today and got a couple more plants, and she threw in two more for free, since it's so late in the season. I'm hoping to get enough to make some jam, but at the rate we're eating them, there may not be enough!

Trying lots of new peppers and tomatoes, but most aren't ripe yet, so can't really say which is my favorite yet.

How about you guys? Discovered anything really cool this year?

Bonnie

Comments (4)