Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not as many blooms this summer

Posted by kristie73 z5 Co Springs (vedderkris@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 23:40

I have noticed this year, I haven't had as many blooms on various periennials. Two of my rose bushes barely even bloomed. I feel like pulling them out and replanting something else. A lot of the stems don't even have buds on them. I'm such a garden rookie, I can't remember all the plant names, but I have noticed less blooms. What is the reason for this?

However, I did have good blooming from Russian Sage, Lavender, Daylilies, Yellow something - Yarrow?, Anyway some flowers really did good and others didn't. Not sure why.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not as many blooms this summer

Roses don't bloom when it's really hot...at least mine don't.
Give them another chance!

o

A number of my plants are behind and are acting like mid-late July rather than mid-Aug. Flowering on rest seems to be OK, Buddleia d. 'Pink Delight' is wonderful now, as were several other perennials here in SE Aurora.

Dan

o

Its been a wacky season weather-wise and many plants have suffered for it. I say wait and see what happens next year before yanking anything.

o

I totally agree to wait another year to see how things are doing next year, there can be a lot of variation from year to year. But one other thing, depending on how old your perennials are. A lot of perennials start to go downhill after a certain number of years, and need to either be divided or replaced to look really good again. Some just keep going and going, and others vary a lot in how many years they'll look really good before they start to "die out in the middle," or just lose vigor for whatever reason. Pay attention to which ones are doing the most poorly or blooming the least compared to past years, and watch them to see how they're doing next year. If some of your plants really are declining, you can decide then what to do.

This has been a pretty strange year in a lot of ways, and chances are that they'll all be happier again next year.

Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here