Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b2alicia

What do you have blooming right now? :)

b2alicia
12 years ago

I saw a topic like this on the Cottage Garden forum, and thought it was a great idea!

First, I'm showing skybird's hollyhock.

I got a small cutting last September at the fall swap, and look at it now!

Thank you so much, skybird. I love it!

Next are some lilies!

I went to a class in Philadelphia during March, and while I was there, I happened to catch their big annual flower show, and bought some bulbs while I was there.

-some Stargazer lily bulbs

-some Acapulco lily bulbs

The bright pink are the Acapulco, and pink and white ones are the Stargazer.

{{gwi:733535}}

I put two of the Mirabilis bulbs in pots, but they didn't really do very well. Did the two that I brought to the swap survive? I apologize if they didn't!

And here are my caladiums, mixed in with some impatiens. :)

Hope those at the swap turned out well.

What do you have blooming now?

I can't believe it's August already!

Comments (9)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Hoo boy...

Shasta daisy, rudbeckia, Russian sage, agastache (4-5 vars), tickseed, Osteospermum 'Avalanche', salvia 'May Night', ornamental oregano, several geranium, knautia, several achillea, several veronica, native and cultivated sunflower, pinks 'Firewitch', avens, several penstemon, still some groundcover thyme, bee balm, portulaca, nicotiana, potted dahlia, gaillarda...

All I can think of at the moment.

Dan

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's great, Dan!

Do you have pictures?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Can't get to it for a while, Alicia.

Dan

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not a problem, Dan!

Take care.

B

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I've posted quite a few pictures already this season, but here are some recent shots. Lots of red in my garden now. It's funny how I went from mostly orange bloomers, then to yellow, and now it's primarily red. It would be great if I could have a little of each color all season long.

Crocosmia 'George Davidson'

Blackberry Lily (seeds came from Skybird)

Gazania 'Talent Red' (wintersown)
    {{gwi:404476}}

Silene regia (wintersown in '09, I think)
    {{gwi:404479}}

Penstemon pinifolius

Daylily 'Santa's Gift' (came from Catladysgarden)

Gaillardia 'Goblin' (I love how once these start blooming, they go all the way till first frost if deadheaded occasionally)

Most of the daylilies are finishing up now, so is the Achillea, Golden Marguerite, and Butterfly Weed. July was definitely the peak of the bloom season, especially for the daylilies. This was their best year yet!

Bonnie

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What bright vivid colors, Bonnie!

I particularly like your photo of the Gaillardia.

Interesting how we each seem to lean toward certain colors, or families of colors, isn't it? I find that when I'm shopping, I'm usually drawn toward the blues and lavenders.

But I'm sure impressed with the orange colors in your garden!

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

I have several things blooming, but not sure I have pics of everything. Here are a few:

Russian Sage:

Hosta, varigated (also have my other Hosta just starting buds, which will open to a white flower):

Morning Glory:

Calif. Poppies (plant & blooms have gotten bigger since this pic was taken):

Ganzania (I love your red one, highaltitudetransplant!) - have yellow, pink, and a white, but this pic is of the pink and yellow:

Geraniums and Portulaca:

Cone Flower and Delphinium:

Yellow tea rose:

Then, of course, still have flowers on some veges: tomatoes, pumpkins, cukes, zuchinni & yellow squash, and several peppers!

I'm jealous your Santa's Gift bloomed, HighAltitude!! My Persimmon variety bloomed, but none of the others did - they are still relatively small plants. Hope next year they will take off.

Marj

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, Marj, some of my daylilies didn't bloom until their 2nd or even 3rd year. The good news is they seem to get more prolific each year!

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

That is good to know, highalt!

Got my first bloom opened on my Hardy Hibicus, Red River, this morning :^)