Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worms in my (cooked) cauliflower...

Posted by singcharlene Zone 5 CO (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 1:32

So I was so excited to cut the head of cauliflower for dinner tonight. Perfect size, florets, everything just right.

I rinsed it really good got the steamer going and put it in the steamer basket whole. When it was done I cut into the cauliflower to put a serving on my daughters' plates when I noticed some worms, a lot of them. I looked in the steamer basket and there were several white worms (dead now) all different sizes in the steam basket. Ugh!! Talk about a let down!!

I guess I was supposed to soak it first?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worms in my (cooked) cauliflower...

Hi Charlene!

I had the same experience with broccoli and the worms were broccoli colored but we didn't see them until after I had already eaten them and so had my hubby!
It took him a year to eat broccoli again. I am glad you caught your worms before that point.

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 0:00

The worst I had was bringing in lettuce that had earwigs in it. Ugh! Bugs are the worst!

o

LOL! My lettuce ALWAYS has earwigs in it! I thought they were SUPPOSED to be there! Aren't they? Actually, I separate the leaves and dunk them all in a HUGE plastic bowl filled with water in the garbage disposal side of my sink, and then slosh the lettuce around until all the earwigs have washed over the sides of the bowl and down the drain---and then GLEEFULLY turn the garbage disposal on!

Can't help with the worms in cauliflower and broccoli tho! The only time I grew it, WAY back in 70-something, the broccoli became HOPELESSLY covered with aphids, and the cauliflower was (tasted) AWFUL---and I've never tried it again!

Hope you're able to find some way to eliminate the worms next year, Charlene. I would think soaking the whole head, or the individual florets in salt water for a while would drive them out.

Skybird

o

We had an entire lab in undergrad entomology that looked at veggies from the store (cans, fresh, frozen) and we had to pull the critters out and ID them for a grade, even if just a leg. IIRC every single product had something in it, which led to the discussion about food standards...

BTW, back when we grew broccoli I'd take the worms out and put them out for the birds. We're a popular stop for our avian friends!

Dan

o

I've read that soaking in salt water for approx. 30 minutes helps kill the worms or at least gets them out of the broccoli/cauliflower head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here