Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Tomatoes don't Grow in Trees

digit
12 years ago

If they did, I might be in trouble.

Color vision is important to us, anthropologists tell us, because it helped our food gathering ancestors to locate food. If you are going to climb a tree, it would save you quite a lot to know if the fruit up there is ripe or not without doing any climbing to find out!

No, my tomato plants are quite small this year but the fruit is of different colors and there are LOTS of plants. I have never had so many tomato plants! Now that there is ripe fruit developing on every one, I'm having a few problems! One is slugs (!) so with reluctance, I'm harvesting fruit when if first develops a blush. With 85+ plants this year ( so cool! ), everything has to go in buckets where it is difficult to keep them separate. As a result, I'm having trouble with colors.

I have learned by experience and reading that flavor is greatly a result of pigmentation. If other things are equal, there will be quite a lot of difference between the taste of a yellow tomato and one that is red. In fact, there is a difference between a pink or an orange tomato and a red one. This is a delight :o)! It is also trouble for someone who doesn't see colors all that well.

So, the tomatoes are mostly green coming out of my garden. They quickly begin to ripen in my kitchen. But, some red tomatoes go thru stages of orange or pink on their way to becoming red! And, I've got orange- and pink-when-ripe varieties!

I have serious trouble with the fruits that are orange when ripe. Too many of the varieties I have, go thru an orange stage before turning red. I lose my Kellogg's Breakfast and Woodle's Orange in with the others!!!

Really throwing me is a variety (Dagma's Perfection) which came on with quite a few fruit these last few weeks. Problem is, the ripe fruit is a very, very light yellow! I guess you could call it chartreuse! I've allowed 1 to nearly over-ripen thinking it was still green.

Knowing that this is a deeply-sympathetic audience . . . I came here to share my troubles.

Steve

Comments (3)