Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

blight amungus?

digit
15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

It might be a good time of the year to assess the blight situation in our tomato patches.

I have some plants that are just LOADED with fruit - can hardly believe it what with the cool Spring and the difficulties the warm-season veggies had at that time. Despite the production, blight is moving in - especially on the determinates.

I've never known if this fungus is early or late blight just assumed that since there's no "late" season in my garden, this would have to be of the early variety. Also, can't blame it on prolonged wet foliage. Heck, we've often got less than 20% humidity by evening here. Clothes dry on the line, overnight. And, my tomato patch is in the bigger veggie garden - a place incredibly open and windy. If exposure was said to cause blight - I'd understand.

photo early blight

Nothing much is in dire straits this year but I've grown varieties of 'maters that I just won't have back in the garden. A Russian variety comes to mind that was remarkably early but most of the plants actually DIED during August!

So, here's the one most affected in 'o8 - Mountain Spring. There's damage even on the stems. The plant has lots of green tomatoes that are ripening and I don't think there's much of a problem there but I've no doubt that the blight is limiting the development of fruit as we move towards the close of the season.

Ildi has a fair amount of the fungus amungus. I'm a little worried about that one. Ildi is an indeterminate soooo, if there's any chance that I can get to the end of September without a killing frost - will that one be toast because of the blight anyway? Shucks . . .

And despite its blight-resistance status, Legend shows some sign of the problem. Just thought I'd mention that even tho' it doesn't seem to have affected its production. They are more fruit than foliage. Gosh, those little plants are loaded with fruit.

Least sign of blight - as usual, Big Beef. Never a hitch, the BB's are kickin' out lots of big, beautiful beefsteaks!

digitS'

Comments (4)