Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time for Them to Go!

Posted by digit ID/WA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 11:13

By myself, I've been eating at least one beefsteak everyday, lately.

The kitchen has been filled with the smell of fresh tomatoes for a couple of weeks. There's no way to keep up with them any longer!

on the stove

Quite a few Orange Minsk in the mix this year. I'd hoped for an excuse to replace it since the big, sprawling plant produced so poorly in 2010 but it is trying to redeem itself this year. There is a good number of the medium-sized Dusky Rose in the mix. DW now claims that Dusky Rose is her favorite tomato! I'm afraid I haven't gotten my fair share of Kellogg's Breakfast out of the fresh basket. I mistake their orange color for an unripe tomato. DW is a little more discerning but there are more of them and EVERYTHING on the vines!

Simple around here: just cook the tomatoes down, adding basil late. Cook some onions separately, some batches with ground beef/some without. Add spices while the onions are cooking, mix with the tomatoes, place mixture in quart ziplock bags, and into the freezer they go!

I think a few of these Sterling Whites would be good in there:

Sterling Whites

Steve
who carries the clock around so he doesn't forget to stir the pots every 3 or 4 minutes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time for Them to Go!

Nice! I've been doing alot of tomato cooking and eating too, it was a heckuva year for them in my community garden where we grow as many plants as possible just so we can have a few. This year they were prolific and huge! My brandywines and cherokees average 1/2 to a full pound, some larger. Tomato soup, pasta with tomatoes, salsa, tomatoes in the freezer, heck I may dry some too.

o

Yes, today the whole fam picked some tomatoes for the sauce, and we used basil, herbs, and onion from the garden. DD chose and picked toms and helped chop on-yon. Yummy sauce.

BTW, dill near toms let go to flower seems to have kept the thrips at bay.

Dan

o

(Forgot to mention the bell peppers which, fortunately, are also available for the sauce and go hand-in-hand with the onions. New-to-me, Big Early bells had outstanding performance, considering. ;o)

Thrips?!! Those darn things a problem for tomatoes?

The flower bugs. . . I know that the tree fruit people have to be concerned about them some years because of blossom damage & lack of fruit set. My problem with thrips has always been in the cutting garden.

Dill would be easy except my volunteers always seem to follow the onions around. Could sow and, otherwise, the dill would be blooming very early.

Steve

o

Dill is a mixed blessing. There's a reason they call it "dill weed". Right now, mine is dropping seed. I go out with a gallon container and brush off seed for pickling, I can get a qt of seed in about 5 minutes. Not to mention that the ground is literally covered in seed.

Its kind of funny - every year, seeing the tiny young plants, I think - eh, let me leave these one or two here for pickling later in the year, do that in each row. And then in September, having to push dozens of the 4 foot high plants aside just to walk around.

o

Interesting. My dill never gets over 18" and most of the plants are about 15".

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here