Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Psyllids on Tomato Plants

Posted by jeremywildcat CO (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 12:01

Anyone else have psyllids on their tomato plants? Took me a bit to figure out what they were, as they look a bit like aphids, but are more flat and secrete tiny waxy beads. From what I've read, they don't do a ton of damage to established plants this late, so they're not as bad as aphids. I sprayed some store bought insecticidal soap on them, and since then have been spraying a homemade dish soap mixture about once a week. Seems to keep them in check but definitely doesn't get rid of them. Was going to try buying some ladybugs but it sounds like that doesn't help much anyway.

Just wondered if anyone else has them, as this is the first time I've had them, and if there are any tips. They're not nearly as destructive as aphids or spider mites thankfully, and the plants still seem fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Psyllids on Tomato Plants

Oh, yeah. I get 'em. I knock them down (never out) either with insecticidal soap or neem. I notice the yellowjackets and some predatory wasps prowl for them as well. My tomatillos have been spared ever since I moved them away from the toms and into pots.

Dan

o

Interesting - seems like I have a lot of wasps in my back yard, so hopefully they are keeping them in check. It would be quite a buffet for them.

o

Bought a bag of ladybugs yesterday and unleashed them on the plants. We'll see if they do any good, or for that matter how many are left after one day. The leaves are starting to droop a bit so the psyllids seem to be starting to harm them.

o

• Posted by jmil 5 CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 1:45

YES. EVERYWHERE.

I garden in a community garden in Denver and I *literally* just discovered them. All of the tomatoes in the garden (about 30 to 40 plots) have been doing terribly all summer. Everyone has been perplexed, and we all wrote off the year as an inexplicably bad season.

But then I stumbled upon an article, checked plants around the garden, and realized the psyllids are to blame. If only we had figured this out sooner!!

Next year. Next year I'll be on top of this, for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here