Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohyay

Dead Canadian Chokecherry?

ohyay
9 years ago

There are 6 Canadian chokecherry trees in front of the small building where I work. They produce a lot of suckers of course, which irritated the landlord. I inquired at a local nursery as to what can be done about the suckers. They recommended some brush killer that was supposed to be applied to the ends of the suckers after cutting them off. The landlord sprayed it directly on the leaves of the suckers instead (last year). Seemed to slow down sucker production with no negative effect to the rest of the tree. This year in early summer he did it again, and one of the trees started looking sickly. I don't know if he applied it to all of the trees or just this one. Now it looks pretty much dead. All the leaves are dry and crispy and hang down. Is it possible that the spray he applied to the suckers killed the tree? He admitted to me that there may have been a little Roundup mixed with the brush killer. Is there any chance that the tree may recover next spring? Or should he just cut it down?

Comments (2)