Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Mums

Posted by boyz UT (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 12:38

Hi! Yesterday I went to a local nursery and bought a bunch of garden mums to plant in my garden. I asked one of the workers if the mums would be fine through winter and she told me yes. They are YoderMums distributed by Syngenta flowers inc. Hardy to zone 5.

I have planted mums before and many have not made it through winter. In hindsight, I should have planted them in spring to give them a chance to get established.

What can I do this fall to make sure they are alive next spring? I live in Northern Utah.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Mums

In my experience, the problem is the roots dry out over the winter and the plant dies. So, I water them late in the fall, then mulch with grass clippings. That takes care of most of it.

However here, we can have very dry early springs and even if they do make it through the cold and you see them greening up in March, they might need a shot or two of water to tide them over until normal summer watering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here