Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnohat

A grave in the garden-much needed advice

catnohat
11 years ago

Last night my beloved cat Baghera died in the night. He has been our family for 15 years and we want to keep him close. So I have decided to bury him under the old lilac bush, he liked it there. Now I find myself with practical questions and thought to seek advice here. The lilac is along the privacy fence with a flower bed around it. I plan to put a large rock over the grave. It's heavily shaded and nothing is growing there now. My question is, how deep do I need to dig to be sure of a safe grave? The lilac is unlikely to be disturbed even if we were to move hopefully. It is the best bush in the yard. Any advice is appreciated, I don't quite know what to do for him as I have never actually buried anything larger than a hamster myself.

Thank you,

Cat

Comments (10)

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss.

You'd want to dig a hole about 2 feet deep. You'll likely need a hatchet to cut through the roots.

• catnohat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The deed is done. It took all day, off and on, but I managed to get about 3 feet deep. My ground wasn't as hard and rocky as I thought it would be. Actually hardly any rocks at all. He sure will be missed, he was so sweet and he always went out with me when I gardened. He was the supervisor!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Cat,

So sorry to hear of Baghera's passing. We did the same with our beloved Charlie dog mid November last year. That was some tough digging. We put flagstone over his grave and solar lights above. It's too soon, but eventually you'll appreciate having him close, a reminder of a life well lived with you.

Barb

• Blossom_Designer
    11 years ago

It's so painful to lose a beloved cat. I wish you well as you go through the grieving process.

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

I understand you missing your "supervisor". My cat went missing a month ago and I have a hard time going out to garden without her. I believe an owl carried her off at night.

She loved to roll in the dirt!

I am so sorry for your loss.

• austinnhanasmom
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I did the same thing - with every pet.

I planted flowers over each grave and when they bloom, it feels like a hug from my old friends!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    11 years ago

So sorry for your loss. They become family don't they? Take care of yourself.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

milehighgirl-Owls do not eat Cats. They swallow there prey whole and a Cat is way to big for that. More likely it was trapped by some one and taken away.
    I have a small cemetery in my back yard for all of my wonderful animal friends. I keep them close as they were more then just pets to me. I am sorry for your loss. HUGS

• Zinnia1
    11 years ago

So sorry for your loss. Pets are a member of the family and losing a family member is always hard - I treasure the memories of every pet I have had the extraordinary experience to live with.

A couple of things to keep in mind (sorry to be blunt, I don't know how else to put it) - bury at least 3 feet deep and make sure the vessel is environmentally friendly. Less than 3 feet and the scent may lure in critters who may dig in the area. Second, make sure the burial vessel will not leach toxic minerals into the soil which will discourage growth around it.

• catnohat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your sympathy and advice. Life goes on... I did get the grave about 3 feet deep and we just wrapped him in my son's old Red Hot Chili Peppers T shirt. That band is environmentally friendly right? We also put a few inches of dirt and then a couple boards. If anything goes digging there, they will hit boards before kitty! I live in town with a privacy fence and no dogs, so I feel he will be secure, at least until I move. Of course I've lost so much equity in my home, I'm not going anywhere soon!

On another note, I have a 6 year old daughter, and what do they want when their cat dies? KITTENS! We have an 11 year old cat that you don't see too often as she's usually hiding, but we don't want her to be alone. So, at the end of October, we will be looking for 2 kittens. They're so much fun in pairs! If anyone will have any to be rehomed, let me know. Also if anyone is aware of a shelter that has kittens then let me know. We are going out of town for a few days and of course need to wait until we're back. We do want young kittens,and maybe not brother and sister. I am thinking about letting them have a litter of their own maybe. I experienced the birth of kittens many times when I was a kid, and might want to let me kids experience it too. We'll see...

Thanks everyone,
    Cat