Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interesting article on bark beetles

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 13:38

I ran across this the other day, and for those of us who live in places where the pine bark beetles are causing havoc, I thought I'd pass it along.

In any event, its a fun read

Here is a link that might be useful: bark beetle whisperer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interesting article on bark beetles

Cool! This guy was featured on NPR several years ago with IIRC Scott Simon. Good find David.

Dan

o

Fascinating, but where's the practical application? Can I buy one of his tree stethoscopes and listen for beetles? If I buy his CD and blast it over my stereo will my beetles eat each other and leave my trees alone?

Seems to me that this is something that people would jump on.

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 20:22

That might be the problem that there isn't at this time a widespread practical application. Interesting stuff nonetheless. Certainly protecting large areas of forest doesn't seem reasonable but maybe something property owners might someday use.

o

Well, they have sonic devices that supposedly shoo off mice - I was talking to a friend the other day who swears by the things.

I don't know if they still sell them, but I have a couple of battery-powered "hissers" that I move around the garden to shoo off nighttime critters - it has a switch that automatically works with daylight/night time, and at night, every few minutes, it hisses - supposedly sounding like a mountain lion, which supposedly gives the deer/raccoons/fox/bunny rabbits the willies, and they move along. I haven't done a scientific study on the effectiveness, but last night, when I was out moving the irrigation, it sure made me jump.

I'd imagine that an application would be an attractant - get the beetles swarming to a trap. They do something similar already with artificial pheromones to mess with the breeding of coddling moths, color attraction for tsetse flies, etc.

This article reminds me of the 2002 extreme drought when the ipsis beetles were doing their number around here. I lost a dozen trees to the beetles. There were so many that you could sit by the tree and hear them, and when the trees died, there were thousands of beetle carcasses on the ground - like half an inch thick of the things. Like a plague of locusts or something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here