Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

Frost and seed pods

jclepine
13 years ago

Well, now I'm bummed because the weather said it would get down to 44 last night but woke up to wilted tomato and basil plants and 34 temps!

Fine, I'm already over it.

Sooo, The beets didn't freeze...can I eat the seed pods? I know there is an Indian beet grown for the edible seed pods but can I eat my regular beet seed pods? I'd love to know. The bok choy put out pods too...so curious! I also want to know if radish seed pods are edible. Yeah, we already ate one and they taste like a cross between radish and wax beans. And, yes, we took a bite out of a beet right there and then...no washing, just brushed the dirt off. Yum!

Hope none of you have burned tomato plants!

Jennifer

Comments (4)

• skarl
    13 years ago

Sorry, can't help you re: seed pods, but then again it turns out some of those greens I've been eating are weeds, and I'm not dead yet, so I'd go for it.

I moved my healthiest tomatoes to the greenhouse about a month ago along with 1 of 2 basils and they're doing much better now. I'm going to move the 2nd basil this weekend. Even the cukes that hardly got bigger than sprouts are starting to grow :-) Wonder if I can bring them inside for winter....

I covered the veggie bed the last few nights so things appear ok so far, altho I don't see any new squash -- maybe it's too cold for the bees?

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

Radish seed pods are edible. I taste-tested a few of my Daikon pods last year. I never did too much with them though.

Wikipedia has a little blurb about using the seeds on salads too. Never tried that. I did save seeds to grow for salad sprouts. Trouble is, DH who is the one who loves radish sprouts, is still overseas... Hopefully they'll still be sproutable this winter.

Yesterday, I was doing a little garden clean-up and pulled a weed from the pathway mulch and up came a nice red radish! I ate it, well, part of it... that bugger was too hot for me.

I don't know about the beets.

• digit
    13 years ago

I am curious as to how it happens that your beets went to seed, J. That has never happened in my garden. Radish pods -- get the tender ones most recently flowers. They are tastier than the roots, IMO. Steve

• jclepine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've cut a bunch of seed pods from radishes and bok choy and will steam some and cut a few into a salad too. They are de-lish!
    Whoops, not beet seed pods, just radishes and bok choy. The mustard went to pods too but they are too hot and tough for my tastes. Even the mustard flowers were super hot. No surprise there.
    I hope they'll be sproutable too, GreenBean!!
    I'll report back with the result of eating tons of spicy beans...