Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of Dirt

Posted by gjmancini 5Co (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 15:54

We have had multiple projects over the last year from digging out a patio to breaking up cement in the basement. Needless to say we have a huge dirt pile in the yard. I know the dirt is nutrient deprived. Do you think I can mix it with compost and put some in my raised beds? Im concerned about the soil that came from under the house, and also where the patio was placed, I dont if it has ever been exposed to chemicals. What does everyone think?

Gloria M.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of Dirt

I'd look at it this way, using as a reference the clay soils of CO with shallow top soil (snort) so dear to our hearts. Going from top down, you have "top soil", then a mix of clay and top soil, then clay, then you get into some seriously funky stuff, say after 1 to 2 feet down. Its that deep layer that, I've seen, causes problems when its brought up to the surface. Other places, that nasty soil is deeper than a couple of feet, maybe 4 or 5 feet down.

So, to put it another way, everywhere in my 3 acre yard where they've dug to put in the power line, the water lines, the line from the propane tank to the house, all that, cause problems. There is soil from 4 - 5 feet down, or deeper, mixed up in the beds. Some plants show signs of chlorosis - some never thrive. But some plants do just fine.

The big trick is adding, continuously, organic matter. Compost, grass clippings, leaves, bark mulch, etc. Then I won't notice. But not do that for 2 years, the 3rd year, here comes the yellow leaves again.

So, I dunno what specific advice to give. If it looks like dirt and not mine tailings, then you're probably good to go, and add lots and lots of compost and manure and clippings and all that, which I'd be doing anyway to any soil.

o
RE: Lots of Dirt

I'm near the end of lots of landscaping projects with extra soil as well. This stuff out here in Aurora is actually pretty good, and our approach is to add organic matter to it. We feel good about it and our yard looks good and we have mounds all over the place. Now, for our veggie garden, I imported and incorporated new into native 8" down, and our production is very good.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here