Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Planting

Posted by manoaction FoCo, CO (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 16:28

I've ordered re-ordered some trees from Stark Bros. to have planted for the fall to replace a few that didn't like this year's drought.

The problem is that they said the shipping date is Nov. 5th which seems hella late in the year to be planting things in Fort Collins.

The trees and raspberries are sticks/whips so they are already dormant, but the blackberries I believe are potted.

I'm new to gardening and wanted some advice. Do you all do fall planting? Does November sounds terribly late to anybody else?

Should I cover the raspberries/black berries with little PVC greenhouses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Planting

Fall planting is a great time to plant in Colorado. November is pushing it a little but you'll probably be fine early in the month.

If the plants are bare-root plants packed in sawdust, you'll need to plant them right away, regardless of the weather, because of the potential for dehydration.

CSU offers helpful suggestions about planting bare-root trees at http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/633.html.

o

Thanks for that link and the encouragement.

Any ideas about blackberries if they are being delivered in pots? Do they still have a chance?

o

I'd still go with planting them vs trying to keep them going in pots all winter.

Just keep in mind that the biggest problem we have is the dry winters - the soil dries out, and then the wind, sun, and low humidity does a number on what ever is out of the ground, particularly in the spring. You might try wrapping the trunks with that white tape stuff.

So I'd check the soil moisture every few weeks and water them as needed.

o

I agree with David. Go ahead and plant them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here