Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Fall Swap '11 October 1st @11am

singcharlene
12 years ago

Hi all,

The Fall Swap is around the corner! I'm looking forward to it! I'll be hosting it this year at my home in Castle Rock on Saturday, October 1st @ 11am. It usually lasts a few hours because we chat, eat, chat, tour the garden and then get down to the business of swapping. :)

I have a Group email list from last year..I'm going to send out an email about the swap to everyone on that list with my address. If you don't get the email today, that means I don't have your current email address and you'll need to private message me with it. You can do that by going to "My Page" at the top of this post and then clicking on "Send me an email". I'll respond as quick as I can with my address.

We usually do a potluck...bring whatever you want. I'll have paper plates and plastic cups. If someone wants to bring some plastic ware and napkins that would be great. I'll put out pitchers of water or iced tea.

If you don't have anything to "swap" that's okay, we still want to see and meet you. There's always more than enough plants to go around.

I hope it's a nice day. I'm trying to keep all of my outdoor pots alive until then because they were beautiful this year but we'll see if we get any killing frosts by then or not.

I'm not quite as organized as Skybird so if anyone wants to chime in about info please feel free.

Thanks,

Charlene

Comments (22)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I got your email, Charlene, thanks. I appreciate you hosting and am looking forward to it!

Since time is short, I'll just say what and who I'm bringing.

I will be bringing tulip bulbs to swap. I have 45 yellow, red and pink mixed Darwins, 10 Helmars (yellow with red striping), 10 Kikomachi (yellow), 10 Ronaldo (burgundy) and 10 Hella Lights (yellow). I'll put 5 bulbs in each bag so they'll be more to go around.
    These all call for a 6 inch planting depth and will get from 16 - 20 inches tall.

My mom is coming with me and I think we'll bring chips and home made salsa.

I can't think of what plants to ask for since I don't know who's coming and what they're bringing. I'll be thrilled with whatever shows up!

Barb

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

Hi all,

I was planning to post right after I got home from vacation, but this past week wound up being sorta--uh--busy. Got home Friday evening a week ago, spent most of Saturday in the yard cleaning up and cutting back plants--looking for possible swap plants, and then when I turned my computer on on Sunday morning---the hard drive CRASHED! Spent all day Sunday and Monday getting a working computer again--and it is "working" again--but I lost ALL of my Word documents I've created or changed in the last year, and I lost ALL of my bookmarks again---for the second time in less than a year! Starting all over with nothing! I had the most incredibly amazing vacation EVER, and I was all excited to get back home and start writing my annual Vacation Story---but I've been in too much of a funk since last Sunday to even think about it! (But if anybody is ever going down to the Four Corners area, or the Parks in the south central/eastern part of Utah, I can recommend some WONDERFUL things to do and see!)

I'd post all the Basic Info, Charlene---but since I lost all my documents from the Spring Swap, I don't have that nice organized version of the basics anymore! I'll post a link to the original Spring Swap thread where I posted all that stuff right at the beginning of the first post, and if anybody has any questions, they can go there and look for the answers!

I'll bring my stack of napkins along again, and I'll have the sign-in sheet and the numbers for picking plants, and I haven't looked yet, but I should have enough name badges too! I kind of looked over the first swap thread, and as near as I can estimate it looks like there are only about a dozen people signed up this time. I was hopping to get a list of the people coming done before I left on vacation, but didn't get it done--and now I'm glad I didn't since it would have disappeared along with the rest of my Word documents and the time it took to do it would have just been wasted!

Would you like me to stick in the 2 1/2 gallon water dispenser I had out at the Spring Swap? It's an easy way to have water, and you wouldn't need to worry about filling up pitchers!

I haven't had time yet to think about what kind of food to bring, but a couple of days ago I heard a weather forecast saying it could possibly be in the mid/low 60's that day, and while the forecast now has it in the 70's (NOAA is showing 71 for Castle Rock), I might see if I can think of some sort of a hot dish to bring this time just in case it does wind up being a little bit chilly!

Now down to the Serious Business! I did find time to pot up some stuff to bring this week, so here's some info about it! I'm NOT "taking orders" this time--I just don't have time to try to keep track of that all right now! With as few people as it looks like are going to be there, chances are everybody who wants some of the things I'm bringing will be able to get them anyway, and since I'm only bringing a couple of each this time, making them all available at the actual swap will give everybody a more even chance to get what they want. SO--here's what I have to bring as of now--just so you can be thinking about it, and maybe make a note for yourself if you see something you want to get so you don't forget about it on the day of the swap!

Since all my stuff is being potted up shortly before the swap this time, I'm going to recommend that everyone who gets any of it keep whatever it is in the pot at least thru October so it will have a chance to start rooting in decent soil before it gets put into the ground! Not that I'm dissing your soil or anything!!!

Acanthus hungaricus, Bear's Breeches [1] I--intentionally--killed my "parent" plant this year, so I don't know how many more of these I might find coming up next spring--but it will definitely be very limited from here on out!

Aguilegia chrysantha, Yellow Columbine [1 + maybe 4 more!] One has been in the pot long enough to be looking pretty good, but the other four I just potted up, and they're looking VERY unhappy right now!

Ajuga 'Arboretum Giant' [3] Great for a pretty fast ground cover where you just want something there, but of the four Ajugas I have, this is my least favorite, and I need room for new stuff, so this will be going the way of the Acanthus probably next summer sometime! Will have next spring again, but probably not after that!

Ajuga 'Black Scallop' [4] My favorite Ajuga right now! Pretty, dark leaves!

Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' [6] The bronzy Ajuga with the smallest leaf of all of them!

Alcea rosea, Hollyhock, mixed pinks [3] Each pot has one small plant I dug up, and I put a LOT of seed in each pot, so if you keep it in the pot long enough for several of them to germinate, you'll have a nice "thick" plant--and probably more than one shade of pink!

Belamcanda chinensis, Blackberry Lily [1]

Callirhoe involucrata, Poppy Mallow, Prairie Winecup [1]

Chrysanthemum maximum 'Becky' [6] My trademark Shasta Daisy! The best tall one!

Crocosmia 'Lucifer' [1]

Delosperma nubigenum [4] This is the plain old original yellow iceplant! It spreads VERY quickly, and it has a tendency to suddenly die off just as quickly as it grows! Mine decided to die about a month ago, so I pulled it all out, snipped tip cuttings off of the ends of the stems, and stuck a dozen of the cuttings in each pot! Will need time to root, and will do that much faster and more reliably if left IN THE POT!

Delosperma basuticum 'White Nugget' [3] These were unrooted cuttings just potted up a few days ago, so definitely should be left in the pots too!

Will probably have some folks anxious to get the these next two!

Hemerocallis, Double Orange Spider, Daylily [3] Got this at a swap in '07, but this one sends up shoots up to a foot away from the main plant, and I just don't have room for that, so decided it has to go! These three are in larger pots than my normal styrofoam cups!

Hemerocallis 'Hamlet' [2] Got this at another swap, and I was under the impression it was gonna be a deep purple, but it turned out to be a lighter kind of purple, and since it's not a "favorite" and I need the space, it's outta here! Don't have any pics in WebAlbums to post of this one, but there are pics if you google it!

Heuchera 'Chocolate Ruffles' [1] This is one of the plants I showed you all at the Spring Swap how to start from the little pieces I cut off! Still very small, but should get going pretty well when it goes in the ground!

Myosotis, Forget-me-nots [2] Just a couple I dug up that were growing into something else! Plant these where you want more, and when they go to seed next spring you'll have them coming up all over the place!

Thalictrum aquilegifolium, Meadow Rue [1] Shade plant!

Viola cornuta, Johnny-Jump-Ups [1] My trademark purple Johnny-Jump-Ups. Was just growing where I didn't want it! Another one where, if you put it where you want more, when it blooms it'll reseed all over!

Polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum' [1] Whoever takes this is gonna need FAITH! When I potted up some of these for the Spring Swap I had a piece of root with no eyes--that I thought would eventually root and grow, so I put it in a pot (sideways, like I showed you to do with the poppy roots) and over summer it has started rooting, but there is still NOTHING starting to grow ABOVE ground! If this is planted at the same depth it is in the pot, next spring you should start to see some action!!! But it will need to go to somebody who will plant it properly, remember where it is, and take care of it until it develops an eye and starts to grow foliage!

Rose of Sharon bushes! [3] I don't know for sure if these are going to make it or not! If it hadn't been for the recent Hibiscus/Rose of Sharon thread, I probably wouldn't have bothered to even dig them up! My neighbor has a Rose of Sharon bush, and, YES, they DO reseed all over the place---including among my tomatoes! I found three of the seedlings and dug them up and put them in pots earlier in the week, and they're looking very unhappy right now! My guess is that if they're kept in the pots for a month and properly watered, they'll eventually get going just fine, but I'm not absolutely certain of that! I'm not gonna try to keep them in the little pots over winter, so I'll bring them along and they'll be up for grabs for anyone who wants to give one of them a try! They're a pink color flower--with a bit of a blue cast! Have no idea what variety it is! They get over 10' tall (and are shading too much of the sun from my tomatoes as far as I'm concerned--the neighbor's ones!)

Egyptian Onion - I cut the tops off of mine and will bring them along for anyone who wants to start some over winter (outside)! I have 13 of the little "bunches of sets" from the tops of the stems, and each bunch of sets will start a good-size plant. With 13 it looks like there's plenty for everyone even if each person at the swap wants some!

I'll also be bringing unrooted cuttings from some of my sedums--along with instruction sheets for what to do with them. Don't know for sure which ones! Just depends on which need to be cut back right now!

And! ON THIS ONE I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHO'S INTERESTED! I have a REALLY chocolaty smelling chocolate mint, and if anybody wants to start some I'll bring some unrooted cuttings that you can easily start in water. The chocolate mint, I have discovered, does need to be kept inside over winter to be sure it survives--at least if it's in a pot it needs to be kept inside! Don't know for sure if it will make it if it's in the ground or not--I don't grow mint in the ground! So if anybody would like a few cuttings for the chocolate mint, LET ME KNOW! My plant needs cutting back right now anyway, so I can easily bring cuttings for anybody who wants some!

That's all I can think of for now--and it's bedtime anyway! If I think of anything else, I'll be back to post it! REMEMBER, I'm not keeping track of dibs on things this time, so, EXCEPT FOR THE MINT, don't ask for them! Make a note for yourself, and go for it at the swap! If you have questions about any of them, let me know and I'll be glad to tell you about whatever!

Please excuse any typos in this! Don't have time to proof it!

Just a week till the swap,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Swap 2011 thread with all the Basic Information!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

I am so happy so see all the familiar names on this thread. I should be there, but possibly by myself this time. My kids have other commitments that probably can't be rescheduled.

Skybird: You had mentioned in the spring that you were probably going to get rid of your Zauschneria this year. If so, or even if not, would it be possible to get some starts from it, yet again? This time, they will go straight into the ground, so perhaps they'll make it this time. We now live in a place without as many voracious herbivores, so maybe I'll have good luck with it, finally.

If it would be easier for you, and you are OK with the idea, I can visit your house sometime and dig it up myself.

We would definitely like some cuttings of the chocolate mint. All of ours died when we moved.

I'm sorry about the loss of your hard drive. That's a lot of No Fun! Do you need copies of anything you've shared with us?

treebarb: I would love to get some tulips, if there are enough to go around.

Anyone: I am looking for agastache, penstemon, rudbeckia, salvia, ornamental grasses, hosta, flowering bulbs, and other good perennials for our climate. I'll try anything and everything as long as it's not too invasive! Seed is fine, too. My smallish yard should have several different micro-climates -- some semi-shady areas, some wet areas, some sunny areas, some hot/dry areas. As always, I think that sempervivums are very cute, so would love to get a few more to add to my collection (thank you, skybird, for getting me started on them!).

I am looking forward to seeing everyone!

We are just starting to plant our outdoor things, so again, I will mostly be bringing houseplant starts.

Most of what I'll bring would be unrooted cuttings on request. So...

does anyone want: coleus, spider/airplane plant, common geranium, pothos ivy, heartleaf philodendron? Some are originally from Skybird. For the spider plant, I have solid green as well as the more usual green/white striped leaves. I can also supply a small cutting or two of Moon Valley Pilea if anyone is interested.

I also have a few starts of small indoor succulents if anyone wants some and I can find enough, mostly a couple of different small aloes (these are not aloe vera plants).

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

So far, I can bring these plants:

Panicum switchgrass (1)
    Sedum - Purple Emperor (1)
    Possibly a couple of Autumn Fire sedum, we shall see.
    Aloe vera (3)
    Kalanchoe - yellow flowered (1)
    Some seeds -flower and veggie, I'll surprise you.

I'll bring some food too. Not sure what yet.

Polygonum, could I get a piece of your coleus?

See you all soon!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

Sure, kvenkat -- I potted up a cutting for you. I don't know the variety name(s). I got it from a friend.

Does anyone want a water lily? I have two from my in-law's goldfish pond. They are extremely heavy! I have been waiting for one or both to dry out a bit so I can lift the pots into a fish tank for the winter. They are not cold hardy and thus must be brought in for the winter if your pond freezes.

If someone wants one of these lilies, I can probably get it into the back of my car. You'll have to get it out. Did I mention that it's really heavy? If I can't get it into my car, we can make arrangements for someone to come to my house to pick it up yourself. I am now conveniently located not far from I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver.

12 years ago

I may never, ever turn my computer on on Sunday again!!! Last Sunday I turned it on--and the hard drive crashed! TODAY I turned it on---and the modem didn't work!!! I've learned by now that when things stop working, the first thing you do is look to see if all the modem lites are on/green---and they weren't! I spent THREE HOURS trying to figure out how to get the modem working--including going back to the original installation disc and trying to "re-install" it! When nothing worked I finally conceded and called Qwest! Talked to a machine for five minutes, AND THEN got a real live human being----IN INDIA! I don't speak "Indian" very well, and while what she was saying KINDA sounded like English, darned if I could figure out most of what she said! Finally figured out that it was QWEST'S problem that my modem wasn't working, not mine! It'll be fixed in twenty-four hours, I finally figured out she was saying! TWENTY FOUR HOURS????? GRRRRRR! A couple hours ago--about twelve hours later--all four lites came on again----but it still didn't work! Called again, chatted with The Machine for a while, and then got another human being--in the Philippines! When did human beings in the United States become anathema??? After a whole lot of "WHAT's" I figured out what I was supposed to do and got it working again! Back to the 21st Century again---but life sure was a whole lot simpler---and a WHOLE LOT easier to understand---in the 50's!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm about to look for a way to transport back to the Stone Age! Think somebody in India can tell me how to do it--in Pseudo-English???

Forgot to say last nite that I'll be bringing along a few packets of my 'Disco Belle Pink' Hibiscus seeds for the people who were asking for them a couple months ago on one of the Hibiscus threads! Don't know if I'll have time to package up any other seeds or not this time.

Not sure about the Zauschneria, Polygonum. I am planning to Do The Deed, but I kept it all summer so I could see it bloom one more time, and it's in full bloom now so I don't really want to dig a chunk of it up! I think I noticed some small shoots coming up on the one side of it, and if I'm right I'll see if I can get them out with some roots on them. But you say you don't want anything invasive, and this is possibly the most invasive thing I've ever seen! Definitely the most invasive thing I've ever GROWN! Are you SURE you want to put some in? If I can't get anything for this swap, maybe when it's done blooming, before I Roundup it, I dig up the main part of the plant and stick it in some pots for the Spring Swap. I don't think there would be any problem at all with it overwintering in pots!

I'll mark a couple of the chocolate mint cuttings for you! I've never grown Pilea before, but it looks like it would be easy to start in water! Is that right? If so, I wouldn't mind trying a couple cuttings--just for something different! And I think it would be fun to try a couple different Aloes too. I ALWAYS have my Aloe vera around--my Miracle Burn Cure, but I know there are some other really cool looking ones. And if you have other SMALL succulents you can get starts of, I'd be interested in trying them too. (But nothing as big as the Euphorbia trigonata--if I remember the name right!)

Also, if you--or anybody else--happens to have a copy of the sedum rooting instructions I handed out at the Spring Swap, I'd love to get a copy of that back! I had changed the way some of it was worded---and it's GONE now! Could always get a copy back to you at the next swap--or if anybody has a way to just make a copy of it for me, that works too! I checked today--while I couldn't use the internet anyway--to see if I had some left that I could copy back into the computer, and apparently they all got gobbled up at the swap! I still have the old versions of the sedum one, and all the other ones--which I haven't really changed much over the years, but the sedum one I had made some significant changes to, and I'd really like to get a copy of that one back.

TreeBarb, if you're taking dibs on things, I'd really like to have one of your "packages" of the 'Ronaldo' tulip bulbs. I LOVE burgundy! Have never grown tulips before, but burgundy is too tempting to pass up!

And, Kat, if you're taking dibs on things, I'd be very interested in the yellow Kalanchoe! I had never tried growing them, but when I was over at Paulino's this spring, Mick Paulino insisted on giving me a pink one, and it's been doing pretty well for me, and a yellow one sounds really pretty! I didn't even know they came in yellow!

The weather folks are now saying it's gonna be 80'ish on Saturday, so I'm kinda nixing the idea of bringing something hot, but still don't have a clue what kind of food I'll be bringing!

Anybody else want chocolate mint cuttings?

Skybird

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

Yes, I think I want to try the Zauschneria. Maybe I'll put it into a pot sunk into the ground so it has a harder time escaping. I'll probably put it at a corner of my property in what appears to be a difficult area, so it can spread for a while before it becomes a problem.

Yes to the Disco Belle seeds. We bought a red hardy hibiscus, and serpent_moon has been pollinating flowers so we can get some seed, too. If any seedpods look ripe, I'll bring them along. If not, we'll collect seed if we can and I'll have some to share in the spring.

The aloes I'm sharing are small. One is from a Salida restaurant. I asked them if I could have a start from the big pot of these things they had growing in the corner. My kids were mortified, but I scored a start! Good thing, because the pot wasn't there the next time we went back. It looks a lot like Aloe hybrid Black Gem, but I don't know if that's exactly what it is.

Another one is from serpent moon's flute teacher. I'm pretty sure it's Aloe aristata.

I might have a few starts of Aloe hybrid Dorian Black, but they will be very limited. Ditto for starts of Haworthia fasciata. Dunno if I'll have anything else in the way of little succulents; maybe I'll have a Pachyveria haagei since a couple of broken-off leaves have little rootlets growing. I also have a couple of Kalanchoe species/varieties that tend to be used as groundcovers in warmer regions, but which make decent indoor plants here.

I don't know how many of each I can bring, but ask and we'll see! And if not, I can try to get you something for next time.

If anyone has any interesting succulents, especially those little things like cute aloes or haworthias, I'd be interested in getting starts.

Pilea Moon Valley is pretty easy to root. I usually stick cuttings in dirt instead of water, because it tends to give me better luck. But you can try each and report back! The cuttings look really awful for a while, but then start to grow again. I need to chop up my mother plant and make a bunch of starts; it's getting rather leggy.

A lot of my houseplants are still sulking a bit from our move. A few are very happy about the move, so I guess it all evens out eventually.

I'll look to see if I have your latest sedum instructions, Skybird.

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Well, looks like I will be missing the fall swap this year :^(

But, it's for a very good reason and trade off - hubby and I decided to make a trip up around Granby Lake this weekend to celebrate our 21st anniversary, see the autumn colors and boat on the lake. Should be an enjoyable time :^D

Look forward to hearing about all the great trades, food, and fun that you have. Hope to see everyone at the spring swap!!!

• amester
    12 years ago

I'm in - I think I can only stay for a couple of hours, though. We shall see!
    Sounds like there will be some mix-color tulips to go 'round - yay!
    I'll have a few catmint (nepeta faassenii, "Walker's Low"), 'May Night' salvia, raspberries, white-flowered yarrow, valerian (centranthus ruber), Skybird's yellow columbine (that is one happy plant!)...um, that's all I can think of right now...
    I'll happily take orders and bring a few extras as well, as long as the plants and stamina hold out, anyway!
    Trish - are you still coming?? I have your 'wish list'!
    Can't wait!

• amester
    12 years ago

Forgot - Skybird, I sent you an email asking if you want some trays. I've been volunteer working with the groundskeeper at the LDS temple and picked up several dozen for you, along with some extra pots. Let me know!
    (Now that it's getting rare, I hope no one gets to the acanthus before I do...we usually keep it civilized, though, no?)
    Mstywoods - we'll miss you, but that's a GREAT excuse! Enjoy.

• flower_garden
    12 years ago

I'll be there with blanketflowers, red oriental poppies, and one thornless blackberry bush. The lemon balm plants didn't seem to take, strangely, so I won't be bringing them.

Amy - I have your wish list too. I'm replacing the blackberry I'm bringing with your raspberry :).

Sounds fun...see ya'll there!

Trish

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

Misty, we'll miss you! Sounds like you have a great weekend planned, so enjoy!

Skybird, you have dibs on a bag of Ronaldo. I checked and I don't have your sedum rooting instructions, I have the one for Christmas cactus and orchids. I'll check with mom and see if she has it.

Polygonum, do you have a color preference or are the mixed ok with you?

Joan, my mom, is bringing Calendula seeds.

I'll bring plastic silverware, knives, forks and spoons.

Charlene, are we good on chairs or would you like us to bring our own?

It's almost here, yes!

Barb

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

Food - I will bring a couscous side dish salad.
    How many folks are coming? Guessing it will be around a dozen?

Skybird, I have three of the yellow Kalanchoe. You will get the nicest one which also happens to be flowering right now. I'll trade it for a hunk of your heuchera.

Trish, a blanket flower please!

Thanks!

• singcharlene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning...

Excited for Saturday. I think I've responded to everyone who's emailed me for directions. If not, please let me know. I'm not keeping a direct rsvp count but it seems like around a dozen people are coming. I see someone is bringing napkins and plasticware, great! I have lots of chairs but if a few of you want to throw a few camping chairs in your car just in case? I have some water jugs.

As far as swapping material from me....my true love of gardening is my vegetable garden. I can hardly keep up with the harvest, drying, canning, cooking of it right now along with my three kids so I don't have things potted up but I do have some great things around my property and in my veggie garden (lots of herbs, strawberry plant) that anyone is welcome to take whatever they want for cooking or planting. The plants around my house are mostly plants from all of you!

I'm making homemade farmer cheese with homemade hot peach jam, crackers, salsa from the garden and if I'm really ambitious and have it together, I'll make chocolate zucchini cake. :)

Let me know if anyone has any questions or needs me to send directions.

Charlene

• flower_garden
    12 years ago

Kvenkat - Got your blanketflower. Can I trade it for one of your yellow Kalanchoes? :) Thanks! Trish

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

Thanks Trish. I'll bring you a Kalanchoe if you don't mind it being a bit sulky. Both of the ones I have left are not in flower but that should happen before too long.

Today I just found out that the things also come in orange! Never seen that before. Although I like orange, I don't do Day-glo.

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

Hi Ya'll, May I please put my dibbs in on the plants being offered by the following swapers? treebarb: I would like to try your yellow w/red strip & the burgundy tulip bulbs. I've never tried to grow tulips. skybird: may I have a piece or 2(or 3)of the chocolate mint,your yellow columbine,a lucifer,a 'becky' daisy,& an egyptian onion? Would you have a piece of your cobweb hen & chick I could have? I love those! amester:I would love to have one of your raspberry plants,catmint,salvia & white yarrow please. flower_garden:dibbs on your blackberry plant if you still have it.singcharlene: I would love to have a piece of any herbs you may have especially the fragrant ones like rosemary,baisil,sage & any of the mints! I am still trying to find some grape vines(the dark red or black sweet eating kind)if anyone is cutting theirs back may I have a piece? Also would anyone have a fig tree(the brown turkey or any other sweet tasting kind)that I could get a small piece of? I don't care if it's in the back yard or the south 40 & half dead...If it looks like there is a little life left in it may I please have a cutting of it? I can't afford the ones at the garden centers(to much $$$) %):( I will bring some pots,& a lot of those black plant trays. I do have some begonias(red,peach colored & yellow)that could be divided if there will be another demonstration on how to do that.I also have a small fern plant(not sure which type)& a few other plants to swap. I will be very happy with any plants & herbs I can bring home especially the fragrant perrenial type. I really hope billy ladybug & chocolatedog will be there to. Oh yeah... I have photos from the spring swap I will bring with me. Thanks Ya'll! See you Sat. %):>

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

treebarb: any kind of tulip is fine. Mixed is great!

kvenkat: if there are any kolanchoes left, may I have one? Also, can you tell me a bit about the switchgrass and the sedums? I like ornamental grasses and sedums.

gardenfiend: chcolatedog will not be there this time. She did ask me to say hi to everyone, and if anyone has anything for her, to collect it. Ditto for serpent moon. Both hope to be at the spring swap with me.

flower garden: I'd like one or more blanketflowers and poppies if there are any left, please!

skybird: I have my eye on some things from your list... And if there aren't enough to go around, maybe we can make other arrangements if you are willing and there is a good time available for you.

mstywoods and others who can't make it this time: We'll miss you! Have fun!

If anyone has sempervivums or interesting perennials or bulbs, I'm interested!

-------------

Does anyone want a start of Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi or Kalanchoe pumila? I also have Kalanchoe tomentosa, though I'd be bringing a fresh cutting and not something that already has rootlets. I also have a tri-color jade plant if someone wants a cutting from it. It is the same species as a regular jade plant (Crassula ovata), but the leaves are variegated green and white with an occasional pink blush. For the K. tomentosa and the tri-color jade, I can probably only get one or two cuttings at most, and only if someone definitely wants it.

A few of the red hibiscus seed pods are black, so I'm bringing them along. No guarantees on any viable seed, though! For all I know, these turned black due to transplant shock and do not contain any seed at all.

I'll rummage through my seeds to bring, if anyone is interested. Many are quite old, but still seem to have adequate germination.

Among the seeds that I was dubious about, but which seem to still germinate (though not at 100%) are Costoluto Fiorentino tomato (similar to Costoluto Genovese), and Polygonum tinctorium, which is Japanese indigo. I am actually growing a few Japanese indigo plants this year (thanks to serpent moon's seed-planting craze) so hope to have a totally fresh seed supply again next year. I have no idea how it will perform in Colorado, but it did well enough in Oregon for me to be able to harvest leaves for indigo dyeing.

I'm starting to get all excited! It's time to pot up the aloe starts and rummage through seeds and pick out the plants from which I'll be taking cuttings...

12 years ago

Polygonum, I did get a start of the Zauschneria for you, but it's very small. Keep it in the pot till the end of October, stick it in the ground, and by the end of next summer I think you'll be shocked! I'm also gonna dig up and pot some before I do it in, so if they make it over winter, you can get another, bigger one then! Also have the mint cuttings for you. With the aloe and other succulents, just bring a start for whatever you can easily get a couple pieces or leaves off of. They all sound like fun! The black aloe sounds especially cool! I'd especially be interested in a couple little stem pieces or leaves from the tri-color jade. I tried that one one time before and couldn't get it to go! Would love to try it again--I think they're so pretty! (I'll pass on the Kalanchoes you have for now. Need some practice on the "regular" kind first!)

GardenFiend, the only thing I'm taking dibs on this time is the chocolate mint cuttings--and I have some marked for you. Having just gotten back from vacation, and with all the computer problems I've had since I got home, I just don't have time to keep track of all the other stuff. Since there aren't gonna be many people at this one, chances are you'll be able to get the things you want the most in the first two rounds of picking.

I'll have a few packs each of four of my different sedums this time--unrooted cuttings, with instructions if you need them.

Also will have one of my Semps in pots, 4 of them I think it turned out to be, and one of them in bags, unrooted--so 2 different kinds. Most of my semps got really bashed in from the hail this spring, and had to pull a bunch out. Then I pulled out all the ones that bloomed--more than normal, and then I was pulling out chicks for a few people over the summer, and now there aren't enough left to give away for the time being. Depending on how well they recover over winter and early next spring, I MAY have more at the Spring Swap, or probably the Fall Swap if not then. I was thinking earlier today that if the people on RMG that are into them would each buy one or two new varieties, when we started swapping them, we could ALL wind up with a bunch of new varieties. Kind of like a chain letter, plant style!

I'm also bringing some extra packs of the chocolate mint cuttings.

Sorry you can't make it this time, Misty. But--I wouldn't pass up a chance to go boating on Granby and to see the Colorado Gold either! Happy anniversary! Have fun!

Gotta go! I finally got my pot luck dish done, but still have a LOT to do!

See you all tomorrow,
    Skybird

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

Polygonum,
    Sorry to say that I am out of Kalanchoe. Never would have guessed it would be so popular. Anyhoo, the Panicum virgatum switchgrass is small, started from seed this summer. One sedum is a full plant, Purple Emperor, which has dark burgundy leaves and stems. The other sedum is a small cutting from either Autumn Fire or Autumn Joy. Forgot which it is but they are similar. That one is green with pink flowers. All of these sedums are upright in habit.

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

polygonum,I would love a piece of the tri-colored jade. I have only seen the solid green ones. Please give chocolatedog & serpent moon a hug for me & tell them I'll miss them. It was so nice to see the faces (at the spring swap)that went with the names that I thought were so cool! billyladybug, where are you? I hope your coming! I think of you & your bantams every time I get on the Murray McMurray web site. I have to visit my bantams now & then even if its only in pictures.(cluck cluck OL). If anyone has any cuttings or rosemary,lemon balm,basil or any other fragrant herbs or perennials may I please have a cutting of them. Any fig trees/bushes anywhere for a small cutting? Grape vines? Oh well I tried! Maby at the spring swap.Thanks Skybird for the chocolate mint. I want to get a small herb garen going & can use any cuttings & advice I can get. Skybird, I am bringing several begonias if you are going to do another cutting demo. singcharlene, what else do you need for the potluck? I'll check this again in the morning before I start out in case anything else is needed. Maby I can help with it. I can hardly wait until tommorrow.See Ya'll then! %):>

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

I think it would be great fun to do a sempervivum purchase/swap! There are hundreds of varieties out there.

Paulino's is/was having their 40% off end-of-season sale. I don't know for sure if it's still going on. They had sempervivums, ornamental grasses, and perennials available, among other things. If we have time after the swap, I might quickly run up there for a few more goodies. But I have to be back in Colorado Springs by mid-late afternoon, so there may not be time. Those of you who live north of Castle Rock might find it worthwhile, though!

Thanks, skybird, for the Zauschneria! I will pick your brain about how to keep the cutting alive for a month. I have very bad luck with Zauschneria indoors.

I'll be taking cuttings of the requested plants in a few hours... For the aloes, I'll pot them up if I can find enough small pots. Otherwise, I'll put the starts in baggies, and you can pot them up when you get home. These are offsets from Mama Plant, and thus have sufficient roots to get going again pretty quickly.

I'll check again before I leave for the swap to see if there are any last minute requests.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!