Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjcore

Hail in the area

gjcore
9 years ago

Just got slammed by hail some of it about 3/4 inch in diameter and extremely hard. Luckily it was fairly brief about 3 or 4 minutes. Had to scramble to get my 6 trays of seedlings inside.

It was good to see my hail protection apparatus working. I wanted to get a video but didn't seem worthwhile to stand out in the storm holding my phone.

Looks like there's going to be a few more cells pass through before the days over.

Comments (5)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Oh, yeah! Hail here! I think I got it before you--RED on radar! It was coming "down" horizontally, and for a few minutes I couldn't see more than a foot outside of any of my windows--that was mostly water, but enough hail to make itself known too. On the windward side of the house it's now white! Got almost 3/10" of precip in less than 10 minutes, then it kept on, lighter for another 10 minutes getting me almost up to a half inch. The eggplant leaves are totally shredded, but they seemed to do a pretty good job of protecting the eggplants that are still developing. And my tomatoes, still mostly green, seem to have been pretty well protected, too, by all the foliage at the tops of the plants. Found two Cherokee Purples that were almost ripe that got "softened up" on top and brought them in to add to my collection of tomatoes from the swap! I had another small cell move thru about 10 minutes ago and now I'm up to almost an inch in the rain gauge! No hail the second time around, but looking at radar I'd say there's definitely more precip on the way! Hopefully no more hail!

Glad you got your babies in, Greg, and glad you had no serious damage,
    Skybird

• luckybottom
    9 years ago

No hail here just 1.1" rain, so far. Looks like maybe more before this front goes out for us too sky. Good thing cuz all my newbies from the swap are in the ground.

Glad you got your seedlings in and your covering works, Greg.

• digit
    9 years ago

What does an inch of precipitation look like? Surely you mean 10" of snow that has taken 10 days and 3 storms to build up ...

Me and my dried out respiratory system would sure appreciate a little more moisture ... oh, it has rained overnight. The weather service says .01" ... so, how do they capture and measure that amount, with a paper napkin? The WS always has the same forecast under their cloud icon: "less than a tenth of an inch possible." So "normal" that they don't really need to bother sayin'.

Hail, much more infrequent here than there, is really something we are hoping will blow off somewhere else ... seedlings, Greg? What kind of seedlings on this last day of September??

Steve

• gjcore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve, most of what I have going is cool season greens. Tatsoi, red tatsoi, various types of spinach, chard, various types of lettuce, mustard, kale, bordeaux spinach, bok choy and probably a few others I can't remember now.

Getting ready to transplant into the mid tunnels and cold frames after the first killing frost. Last year I direct seeded into the tunnels and frames which worked out fair but it took several weeks to get things germinated and was kind of a pain to clear the tree leaves once or twice per day. Hoping to get a jump on the cool season.

Greg

• digit
    9 years ago

Maybe leaves would be better than hail or snow!

I'm not quite ready, Greg.

It looks like I could be if frost shows up again tonight and tomorrow night. There isn't a lot in most of the gardens anymore and that would put a stop to what little is still there.

I'm unsure about what transplants I have to move in. They may be a little old. Maybe I'd better get some more going even if I don't have access to the greenhouse floor, yet! The table in there works well for drying seed from the garden but it has to go ... where? I'm hoping, under the deck. DW is not delighted with the idea of me pulling it out. Actually, 4 tables (benches), each section about 10' long.

Steve