Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

advice needed on drying peppers

mstywoods
12 years ago

Our Alma Paprika peppers are starting to turn red, and we also have some mild jalapenos, Big Jim and Gypsy peppers. I'm definitely thinking about drying the Alma's so I can then grind them for my own paprika, but might try some of the others as well.

I've never done this before - what's the best way to dry peppers in Colorado? Should I hang them and let them slow dry (one site says to do this in a cool, dark place over the winter), or should I put them outside in the sun, or use the oven, to speed dry them? I don't have a dehydrator, so these would be my only options. With the still intense sun right now, it might not take long if I put them outside in our South facing side of the house - but would like to keep the bugs off of them while doing so, which might be tricky.

Would love to hear advice from you who have done this before!

Thanks,

Marj

Comments (7)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

The first year I grew peppers I didn't have my dehydrator yet, so I put a rubber band around the stem, since it will shrink as it dries, a string would allow it to slip off. Then you can use a paper clip or clothespin or something to attach it to a string. I placed mine in the garage, which was out of direct sunlight, but it would have been much faster if I had been able to put them in the sun. I'm attaching a link that explains how to use you oven to dehydrate, as well more air drying tips.

Hope this helps.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: How to dry peppers

• austinnhanasmom
    12 years ago

I am drying for the first time this year.

I also do not have a dehydrator.

I tied some together on string and hung them in my basement.

Another batch was dried by smoking in my grill for a day and then low oven temp baking for a day.

I happened to need to build window screens and had extra pieces. I had two that are similarly sized and have placed the rest between those; screens placed in the shade on my deck.

The peppers that are outside are drying faster, but it could be because I had halved these to save seeds.

I like the screen sandwich because the winds get crazy on my deck and these screens have stayed put.

One issue, perhaps, that could arise is if raccoons visit and tip it all over.

I read that drying peppers in the sun could fade the colors. Not an issue for me, as long as I label the container as paprika.

• bpgreen
    12 years ago

I've used a needle and thread. Pass the needle through the stem, keep the peppers separated and hang them from something

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

If you're drying them to grind up, cut them in half, it will go much quicker. If you're drying them to make Ristras, do what bpgreen does.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Heck I just did this last night. My convection oven has a dehydrate function and I laid the cayennes whole on a stainless steel sheet, turned on the oven (dehydrate is at 140 with the fan going) and in 18 hours I had dried peppers. Pinched off the stem ends, put them seeds and all in a clean coffee grinder (the whirly kind) and now I have fresh cayenne powder. Cool!

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I ran some thread through a few peppers and have them hanging in my kitchen window. It doesn't get direct sunlight there, so I may have to move them elsewhere. A couple are starting to get a bit wrinkly, so I guess that's a good sign?

Tommysmommy - wow! Nice your oven has a dehydrate function!! I have a convection oven, but the lowest temp it goes down to is 170. I suppose that will work, just will take less time? Did you leave yours whole while drying in the oven, or did your half them like David suggested?

David - do you cut yours in half when you are letting them air dry?

Austinnhanamom - love your screen sandwich idea!

Marj

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I do cut them in half length-wise.

Peppers, like most fruit, have a skin that serves as a moisture barrier, keeping the inside moist. So they dry out a lot quicker if this opened up.