Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

2008 - Year of Bug Heck

lilacs_of_may
15 years ago

I don't know about anyone or anywhere else, but the mosquitoes have been worse this year than any year since I moved to Colorado. And that was in 1989! Every time I go out into my yard I get at least 2-3 mosquito bites. And since I'm allergic to them, they swell up into big red blotches. If I get too many of them, they start triggering my asthma. I've got at least 20-30 all over my arms, face, and neck.

I was trying to saw off some dead juniper branches out front, and then I saw that I was sawing two inches away from a yellow jacket nest. The grasshoppers are approaching swarm status, and for the first time the OFM attacked my peach tree en masse last spring.

Was it the heat wave that caused this? Or the rains that followed? The fact that we had a dry winter?

Add to all that the fact that I've been hauling peaches inside for the last week, and peach fuzz makes me break out in an itchy rash....

I think I'm going to go have a Benadryl shower.

Comments (5)

• maximavswife
    15 years ago

I totally agree about the skeeters! I was out watering my front flower beds a wekk or so ago and I know I looked like some freak swatting all around me with the hose flaying around!

Kath
    not a skeeter fan

• digit
    15 years ago

I have been amazed here, 6 or 8 hundred miles to the north of CO, that the bugs have been fairly limited this year. There were exceptions.

The flea beetles attacked the brassicas with real vengence, early on. I was unable to deal with their numbers and they made a mess of the radishes, especially.

The red spider mites were slow in getting started in the dahlias. They are out there now and have begun to cause serious damage. I've started hosing down the plants with water before spraying them with insecticide. That has really helped in the past and I'm optimistic. (You need to wait for the plants (& mites) to dry before spraying.)

The red spiders are also on the sunflowers and finishing off the 1st planting of beans. I think beans must be their favorite food. They always swarm the aging bean plants.

Forever, I've heard people say that a cold Winter suppresses the bugs but we didn't have a cold Winter. Instead, we had a cold Spring. That may have done far more to suppress bugs than some additional days of subzero weather in January could have.

digitS'

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

It must be a case of "location location, location."

I usually set out the yellow jacket traps in June and empty them as often as daily. The past few years, I've been using the 10 week attractant and this year the first one was almost finished before I had to empty the traps. I've been emptying them once every week or two since.

Not that I'm complaining.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Bug report for the Western Slope:

Mosquitos - Definitely worse this year. Last year, they were horrible in August, but I don't remember getting bit much at all before then. This year, they were eating us alive at the ballparks by June.

Grasshoppers - Plague status. When you walked through the empty lots around us in June, it looked like a parting of the Red Sea. Thankfully, the numbers have dropped significantly since the praying mantis population is mature enough to eat them in large numbers.

Bees - Plenty of them, but the paper wasp/yellow jackets seemed to show up later this year. Lots of honeybees, bumblebees, and leafcutter bees too!

Bonnie

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

All around the county here, everyone is complaining about the grasshoppers - what Bonnie is talking about, strip trees and such. I have some, but nothing like what folks 10 miles away have. We have a new wasp around, some sort of European paper wasp, that doesn't just build on the under-hanging eaves, but just about everywhere it feels like it - like on stalks out in the corn fields, in the middle of my clematis vines, and under the out door chair.

One tomato horn worm all season. Usually get several dozen.

But boy, do I have sod web worms. Bazillions and bazillions eating my lawn.