Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

I don't think it will work here, Skybird

digit
11 years ago

Jealous of the fully-ripe Dr. Wyche's Yellow on my neighbor's plant I picked this one in my tomato patch this morning. Isn't it pretty? Even if it is not fully ripe.

With 1 frost already, and competition from other beafsteak varieties that have been producing for over a month, I think that this one is just a little too demanding of a long, warm season of growth . . . We've had 18 September days with above normal temperatures despite the 1 frosty morning. I feel real lucky to have found this nearly-ripe tomato on my plant!

Skybird kindly sent me the seeds at the beginning of the season. Oh, and the neighbor says "thanks!"

Steve

Comments (3)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

Hi Digit!

Not ignoring you! Have just been crazy busy lately!

I sure wish my hard drive hadn't crashed last year (Ya think!) 'cause I was keeping the best records I had ever kept about my tomatoes, when they set fruit, how much, etc! From what I can get out of the hard drive in my brain (!) I think Dr. Wyche's was one of my latest ones too, but there was a lot of fruit (I think!), and it was good! I'm pretty sure I do remember that when I hung them in the garage the Dr. Wyche's ripened fairly well but then wasn't as good a "keeper" as the Earl of Edgecombe and some of the others. Sure wish I had those records!

I wasn't gonna do Dr. Wyche's for myself this year since I had so many others to try, but I had started one for my neighbor--who never got around to putting a garden in this year, so I gave away most of the ones I had started for them but kept three for myself--and Dr. Wyche's was one of the ones I wound up keeping. Planted them where my "garden that never got planted" was this year and let the three of them "sprawl" since there was room to do that--and I didn't have anymore 6' stakes, or the time or energy, to stake them. The Dr. Wyche's has a lot of green fruit on it again, but none of it ripening yet again--tho that's kinda not fair this year because they got put in WAY late since I kept waiting for the neighbor to "be ready" for them (I had 2 1/2' tomatoes in 3 1/2" pots!!!) Don't know if any of them will have time to ripen even down here before it gets too cold, but I WILL be cutting and hanging ALL of mine in the garage again this year, so hopefully I will get to eat some of them!

ALL of my tomatoes are way late this year! I turn my garden over by hand and it was just WAY too freakin' hot--EARLY--to get the soil ready, so they got put in way late! Not as late as the Dr. Wyche's, but still WAY late! Haven't had many to eat yet--even the cherries, but they're coming along--and then there's always that Hanging!

Have been, still am, planning to post on your "orange & pink" thread, but just haven't had time! Maybe you'll need to bump that one back up again when it gets COLD out! Do have a bunch of comments this year! Woodle, & Rainy's & Sungold, Oh, my! I have a lot to get done in the yard before it gets COLD since I was "hiding" inside all summer to stay out of the heat--not that it was especially cold--or even cool--inside since my AC doesn't work! But I just couldn't manage to drag myself outside into the sun when it was near 100 every day!

I'll be back! Keep us in tomato threads over winter and I promise to come and rant!

;-)
    Skybird

• digit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, of course, it was partly a "ploy" to have a Skybird Response. (I'm glad it worked ;o)

This isn't really any smaller than the Dr. Wyche's Yellow (I have just made it look smaller by setting the tomato on Early Girls instead of cherries ;o). Last year, I had some Kellogg's Breakfast mature and it was a very similar growing season. I picked this one yesterday and it's a long way from fully ripe. And, by Monday . . . it will be October . . .

digitS'

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't even mention that O word, Digit! I'm already having trouble dealing with the Short Days---and the days aren't even SHORT yet!!!

Ya gotta quit making me salivate all over myself with all your WONDERFUL tomato pictures!

I gave up on the Kellogg's Breakfast last year! It definitely had some promise--big and yellow, but I NEVER got any ripe fruit out in the garden--three years of tryin'! And while the "hanging ripened" fruit is WAY, waywayway better than anything you can buy in the stores, it's still not as good as tomatoes ripened in the garden!

I did go out in the garden and make Tomato Notes a little while ago--on paper--which can't CRASH! Not gonna start a post today about this year's results 'cause I'll wind up taking most of the rest of the day to do it if I start it! But I do now have crash-proof notes on what mine did this year, so, like I said, when it gets COLD out!

But I am most definitely still around here, and ALWAYS reading, but without enough time to reply--'cause you KNOW that even my "short" replies always get LONG!

Luv ya, Digit,
    Skybird