Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Guess what's for dinner?

highalttransplant
15 years ago

Just for fun, I thought I'd post a picture of what I harvested today, and see if anyone can guess what's on the menu tonight. There is an onion that didn't get in the photo.

Okay, I'll give one other ingredient clue - chicken.

... and one other hint ... think fall.

Anyone want to play?

: ) Bonnie

Comments (18)

• digit
    15 years ago

Chicken Cacciatore?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad someone is willing to play!

Mmmmmm ... Chicken Cacciatore sounds good too, but that's not it.

Next ingredient clue - Juice of one lime

Maybe that gives it away?

• conace55
    15 years ago

Fajitas maybe? Yummy

Connie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Getting closer!

Someone's going to get it this time for sure.

Ingredient clue #3 - 1 lb. frozen corn

• digit
    15 years ago

This won't be right but it was the first thing I thought of and now the lime juice doesn't work out - a very nice chicken soup.

This just goes to show that no, someone didn't get it this time unless he or she clicks the submit button before I do . . .

Steve's digits

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually Digit, it DOES work out with the lime juice, if the chicken soup is Chicken Tortilla Soup!!!

You're the WINNER! Your prize is the recipe:

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

1 pkg. of chicken breasts
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green pepper, chopped
    2 Tbsp vegetable oil
    2 (14 oz) cans of diced tomatoes (or 6 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped)
    1 can of Rotel (or any brand of diced tomatoes with chilies)
    1 can diced green chilies (hot or mild)
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp of ground cumin
    3 garlic cloves, minced (or 5 or 6 if they are small)
    1 tspn salt
    1/2 tspn black pepper
    1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 lb. bag frozen corn (could use fresh, not sure how many needed)
    4 to 6 carrots, sliced
    Tortilla chips
    Monterey Jack cheese

Chop chicken into 3/4" pieces. Saute in oil until cooked through. Add onion and green peppers. Cook until onions are tender (translucent). Add all other ingredients. Cook for at least an hour, until carrots are tender. Place coursely broken tortilla chips in soup bowl, pour soup over top, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Serves 8.

* Also good with cornbread muffins instead of tortilla chips

This soup is very flavorful, but can be as mild or hot as you would like, depending on the type of peppers you use.

Okay, since I made up this game, here are the rules. Post a picture of a partial list of ingredients. They don't have to be out of your garden. Each time someone guesses incorrectly, you have to give an ingredient clue. When someone guesses correctly, you have to post the recipe.

Anyone else want to give it a try?

Bonnie

• digit
    15 years ago

The heck, you say???

?

When I left here, I was thinking wouldn't it be a surprise if that was correct. But, I'm pretty sure I've never had tortilla soup.

d'S'

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Digit, I hope that you'll give it a try. It was good enough that DH wanted to take a container to work to share with the boss. The boss said it was the best soup he's had in a long time : )

Well, let's try this again, just to liven things up around here.

Here is my picture clue, and I hope I'm not making it too easy this time:

What did I make with these ingredients???

Bonnie

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is carrot cake, but of course you'd need more ingredients than those shown.

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Glaxed carrots?

Billie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi guys, I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you, but I have a family emergency and have to go out of town for a few days. I'll resurrect this thread when I get back.

Thanks for playing!

Bonnie

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hope everything turns out ok, Bonnie. Let us know when you're back in town.

Thinking of you,
    Skybird

• jclepine
    15 years ago

I hope all is okay, Bonnie!

I second the tortilla soup! I used to eat super spicy food and my friends and I shared a tortilla soup recipe. We pretty much fought over who could make the spiciest soup. I won using four diced serrano peppers, two jalapenos and two tablespoons of some kind of fancy, organic and bright orange ground cayenne from the yucatan. We perspired the whole way through, sniffling and dabbing our eyes with hankies.

Never again!

I like sprinkling that "queso" cheese from the Mexican markets on top of the soup...kind of dry, salty and yummy.

For the new photos with the milk, honey and carrot or parsnip, I guess that it is sweetened, mashed parsnips. My second guess is carrot fudge. I have had that at fancy Indian restaurants.

Take care!!

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: carrot fudge recipe (I leave out the raisins)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm home now, and trying to catch up on things. I wish I could report that everything turned out okay, but I lost my father this past week.

BTW, Lilacs guess is the closest.

Bonnie

• digit
    15 years ago

I am so sorry, Bonnie.

Steve

• jclepine
    15 years ago

Bonnie,

I am sending my good thoughts your way and wishing you comfort.

Jennifer

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

Bonnie, I'm very sorry. My thoughts are with you.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. His death was a horrible tragedy, and the pain of loss is fresh, but going through it with my siblings, brought us closer in a way that I don't think anything else could have, so for that I am grateful.

Since I'm no longer in the playful mood that I was when I started this thread, I'll save everyone the awkwardness of guessing, and reveal the recipe. It's my sister's yummy Spicy Apple Carrot muffins. They pack more nutrition than a lot of muffins, but the honey makes them extra tasty. I like to serve them with honey butter. This recipe was included in a cookbook of her favorite recipes that she made for me when I was getting married, more than 20 years ago!

SPICY APPLE CARROT MUFFINS

2 1/2 cups of flour (whole wheat can be used)
    1/2 cup dry powdered milk
    1 TBSP baking powder
    1/2 tspn salt
    1/2 tspn allspice
    1/2 tspn nutmeg
    1 tspn cinnamon
    1 cup honey
    1 cup vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    1 TBSP vanilla
    1 cup grated apple
    1 cup grated carrot
    1 to 2 cups raisins (as desired)
    1 to 2 cups chopped nuts (as desired)

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat honey, oil, and eggs well. Add vanilla. Add to dry mixture. Fold in carrot, apple, raisins and nuts. Pour into greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.

Makes about 1 1/2 dozen regular or 4 dozen mini muffins.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
    Bonnie