Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

Fall Swap Thank You!!

jclepine
14 years ago

Karen and Glenn,

Thank you so much for holding the swap and for allowing us to tromp all over your yard! I had a great time :)

All of you all,

I'm so glad we were able to get together and meet again. I'm sorry I didn't have a better chance to meet everyone but it was still a very fun time.

GreenBean,

I didn't even see your post where you requested a cherry bells! I wish I had. I think I saw the post but was so rushy that I didn't see the whole thing. I'll have tons of cherry bells in the spring :)

Jennifer

Comments (16)

• Azura
    14 years ago

Yes, thank you so much Karen and Glenn!
    It was great to visit with all of you and thank you for the wonderful plants.

Ginnytrcka - I am sorry but somehow you missed the mini cattails that I had set aside for you. I will have some in the spring. Dont be afraid to remind me if I forget or if you live near Littleton, you can stop by and get some. Just let me know!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

IÂll add my thank you to Karen and Glenn for hosting the swap. It was really nice to have shade trees to sit under!

With 19 people picking plantsÂplus a few others "hanging out in the wings," I think there were more there than any of us were expecting. It was a great turnout!

Thank you to everyone who brought things for me! Now come help me plant them before I leave on vacation on Wednesday! ;-) IÂve started keeping track of the things I have earmarked for me, so when I post pictures in the future, IÂll give the proper credit!!!

Thank you Jennifer for introducing us all to Cherub plumsÂif I have the name right! I think thereÂs gonna be a run on those things!

I got a lot of pictures this time, but thereÂs a 99.9999999% chance IÂm NOT gonna have time to get them downloaded and posted before I leave! You can all look for yourself on RMG in about 2½ weeks! IÂll try to get them done as soon as I can when I get back home!

Everybody keep an eye out in April sometime for the post about the
    Spring Swap  2010!

Thank you to each of you for helping make this our SIXTH successful swap!

Skybird

P.S. Everbloom, Your picture of the voodoo lily was left at the swap. If you want it, IÂll hang onto it and bring it along to the Spring Swap.

• allashandra
    14 years ago

Thank you Karen and Glen for hosting the swap! Your garden is truly lovely I can only imagine how much more lovely it is when it's all in bloom.

This was my first time at a swap and it was great fun. Thank you to everyone for the lovely plants I now have. I just have to find places for everything now. It was great meeting new people. I look forward to the Spring Swap!

Michele

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks Karen & Glenn!! and thanks all for the great plants! (of course, now I have more work to do...)

Jennifer, I posted the Cherry Bells request pretty late (like on my way out the door) so I knew chances were good you wouldn't see it. I think I did get one today anyway!

Looking forward to the spring swap!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• jclepine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! They are called Cherrums (or Cherum?) as they are a cross between cherries and plums.

GreenBean,
    Are you the Firefly fan with the "Wash is my co-pilot" license plate?? We are fans too :)

J

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

I can't tell you how much Glenn and I enjoyed having all of you visit our garden. I always enjoy the plant swaps. It's fun to get together with other gardeners. I wish we could do it more often.

I got several plants that I really wanted. I've been trying to add more perennials to the garden. Now I have to find places to put them where I hope they'll be happy.

Dee- Thanks for bringing all of the neat little sedums and semps. I've just learned to appreciate sedums. I've collected a whole bunch of the upright ones the past couple of years. This year, I added a few of the ground cover types. Much to my chagrin, the rabbits tore them up and tossed the pieces all over. Now, I'm starting them over and putting screens around them.

Donna- Thanks for bringing the Campanulas. I'm also anxious to see what the Voodoo lily will do for me. I hope I live long enough to see it bloom.

Maybe we could think about having a speaker for future swaps. Any thoughts on that?

Karen

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

J, nope, not my car. Mine is the small SUV that doubles as a mobile doghouse (only when the weather is safe of course).

• polygonum_tinctorium
    14 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

Karen and Glenn -- thank you for hosting! It was great to see your wonderful garden, entertain your cats, and so on. I also appreciate your letting me take cuttings from your old roses. I'll let you know if they root!

The food was great, and the company was even better. This was only our second plant swap, but we're definitely going to be there again.

My daughter and I are extremely pleased with our new plants. I'm off to do research on what some of them need, and then to find spots to stick our new irises and daylilies. Eventually, we'll find the right combination of things to foil the local voracious mammals.

For those who received houseplant starts from me (coleus, geranium, African milk tree): feel free to ask questions. And if any of your starts don't make it, I'd be happy to replace them at the next swap.

• Azura
    14 years ago

Jennifer,

I'm the scifi nerd with the Firefly license plate holder :)
    You are the first person that Ive ever met that caught the reference. My hubby claims to be a big fan too but he didnt recognize the quote. I knew I liked you and that nameless one you pal around with. :)
    Its off topic but I cant resist a FF quote:

Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting."
    Mal: "Define interesting."
    Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?"
    Mal: "This is the captain. We have a... little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    14 years ago

It was wonderful meeting all of you. I appreciate knowing the faces that go with my online advisors in the gardening world. Karen and Glenn, your place is amazing! Your forte may be daylillies, but you've obviously got the knack with roses as well. Thank you for sharing your home with us.
    Thanks to everyone for my new babies. I've already planted them. I couldn't wait! I'm looking forward to the next swap. Hope everyone is having a restful Labor Day.
    Barb

• jclepine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Azura,
    I sent you an email...but, you should know Darren finished the quote as I was reading it!

Hooray for sci fi nerds...Unite!

And...

Polygonum,
    All three of my starts are looking very happy. I put the geranium in a pot with soil and watered it. I'm sure it will be just fine. I left the coleus starts in the pots you had them in, topped them with a bit more soil for stability and put trays underneath for water. Ooh, they are perking up!

GreenBean,
    I left the catnip and Cercocarpus starts in the yoghurt tubs but put trays underneath. So far, so good!

Eeee, so excited to have this many new plants!

Skybird,
    I know you won't see this for a while...but, I've already eaten a leaf from the Agastache (licorice mint)! Yummmm

J.

• everbloom
    14 years ago

Karen and Glen you are such gracious hosts, thank you. My daughter, Sunia and I enjoyed the swap and of course wandering the gardens and petting the cats. I look forward to getting your pink octopus in the dirt, thanks.
    Dee, thanks so much for all you do to keep the swaps going.You can pitch the pic of the voodoo.
    Donna/everbloom

• singcharlene
    14 years ago

Thank you Karen and Glenn! Your garden is always inspiring :) You all must see it in July when everything is in bloom. My husband and I may provide some live music entertainment for her open garden next year.

Thank you everyone for all the plants too! I'm so grateful and it makes the garden so much more special when they come from other gardeners. I put most of them in the ground today. Just have the daylilies and irises to plant.

I'd love to host the spring swap again (usually beginning of May).

Charlene

• conace55
    14 years ago

I, too, want to express my thanks for a wonderful afternoon. Karen and Glenn, the shady back yard was a delightful place to hang out! Thanks for being such wonderful hosts. And Skybird/Dee, thanks for all of the behind the scenes organization you do.

Thanks to everyone for all of the wonderful plants I took home. I haven't had a chance to get mine in the ground, but I've been looking everything up online to make sure I give them the best possible chance to flourish. I'm having fun!

See you all at the next swap! Connie

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

We love all of you and we're so glad you could spend the afternoon with us. We got lots of nice new plants and hope you did as well.

I noticed a couple of requests for Iris that were posted late. I still have Iris to give away if you're interested. Please contact me.

Glenn and I are about ready to begin our Fall clean up. The garden looks so blah at this time of the year. Lots of work for a couple of old folks! We have to pull all of the spent bloom scapes from the daylilies. Then we cut down the foliage. Then it's time to start hauling horse manure. After that's spread on the beds, time for a new coat of wood chips. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it. It's times like this that I wish I had a dozen teenagers to help.

I hope all of you will consider coming to our Open Garden next year. It will be on July 17th. The garden is really worth seeing during it's peak bloom.

Karen

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I know this is a very belated thank you, but I wanted to thank Karen for all of the lovely daylilies she sent, and Skybird for delivering them. Not sure if you received my email Karen, but I had company for a week right after Dee stopped by, and all of the kids were sick this week, so I apologize for the delay in acknowledging your generosity. Hoping to get them in the ground this weekend.

Hope to see everyone at the Spring Swap!

Bonnie