Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Yummy Peppers!

digit
12 years ago

Cellphone photograph of a HUGE basket: Bells & Italian sweets are under the Yummies.

I am happy to tell you about a successful 2011 choice of a small sweet pepper.

The catalog description, linked below, describes "tall" plants. I suppose they failed to grow tall in my garden. They made it to only about 18" after our very cool start to the growing season. But -- they were absolutely covered with peppers! Almost more peppers than leaves and they live up to their name: Yummy.

They are exceptional!

Steve

Here's Cook's Garden.

And, Jung Seed.

Comments (8)

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Steve, did they keep flowering/fruiting as the catalogs claim? And are they as thick-walled as the catalog photo's show?

I keep looking for pepper varieties that will form a lot of thick-walled fruit. I can grow peppers that look great, lots on a plant, but when you cut them open, they're just skin, no flesh.

Speaking of great peppers, on the other pepper thread I mentioned harvesting Gypsy when they were dark yellow, not bothering to let them turn red. When they do turn red, they are wonderful - turn very sweet.

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are still flowers on those plants, David. How those things expected to set any more fruit is beyond my imagination, tho'!

I think they've done fairly well in developing:

had a little trouble with the lighting

Only a few have changed to their orange-when-ripe color.

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I couldn't resist posting this other picture:

This Yummy had a 4-cell, bell shape but was really, really tiny.

My Mustang, before heading out to the gas station for fuel:

digitS'

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Nice 'ride', there Steve.

I can't tell from the catalog descriptions of this variety is open pollenated - does it say so on the actual packet?

This past summer, I planted a 100 seed packet of Gypsy, and set out somewhere around 70 plants. There were a few - 3 or 4 - plants with odd-ball shaped fruit, I saved seed from one of them that had 1 inch by 4 inch long sweet peppers that turned red pretty early - again a nice thick fruit. As the odd ball of a hybrid, I have no idea what it will do.

But I'm trying these days to get away from as much hybrid seed as I can, as the quality does seem to be going down.

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quality going down . . . ?!

That may explain my mystery tomato! Probably doesn't explain this - which grew from seed in a Thai Hot (non-hybrid) packet (and Dan may be interested in this also):

{{gwi:1223722}}

Well, checked the seed box and I no longer have a Yummy packet. The Totally Tomato catalog doesn't say that Yummy is a hybrid and they list a lot that are and are so identified.

Steve

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I dunno about those upright peppers. That plant looks like an 'ornamental' variety I tried one year, they were 'bleck' to eat. If you ever find those upright Thai peppers that are orange, and about an inch long, I'd proceed with caution when picking, dicing, and eating the things. They are sooooo hot.....,

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

The Sweet Pickle pepper I grew last year had upright pods like that, and they were tasty, but not purple like that. The plant was pretty though with peppers in various stages of development - cream, orange, and red on the plant all at the same time.

Steve, I'm curious about why you picked all of those peppers green? Seems like they would be even "yummier" if they were actually ripe : )

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bonnie, it seems they are ripening to orange in the fridge!

I apparently made a mistake in my weather prediction. We will have a week of rain and cool temperatures. I'd thought, "Uh oh! A little smattering of rain and then a mid-week frost!"

So, I jumped in and grabbed the sweet peppers! They won't have growing weather this week since highs will be about 60 & lows about 40. We are now past the frost date and they are living on borrowed time.

I've got actual Thai Hots and that 1 pretty pepper just showed up amongst the seedlings.

Steve