Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

Wonderful swap!

mstywoods
9 years ago

What a wonderful time at the swap today!! Thank you Bonnie and Terry for hosting. Lovely day, lovely place, lovely people. lovely food (those scones are to die for, Nancy!) - oh, and lovely plants, too :)

I'll be getting my new babies in the ground on Monday. Thanks for all who brought them!

So glad you took the book I brought, Bonnie. Will be fun to see it change hands at future swaps. I know I didn't tell you much about it, so here's a bit more (in someone else's words, which is probably better ;):

One Straw Revolution:
Call it "Zen and the Art of Farming" or a "Little Green Book," Masanobu Fukuoka's manifesto about farming, eating, and the limits of human knowledge presents a radical challenge to the global systems we rely on for our food. At the same time, it is a spiritual memoir of a man whose innovative system of cultivating the earth reflects a deep faith in the wholeness and balance of the natural world.

Trained as a scientist, Fukuoka rejected both modern agribusiness and centuries of agricultural practice, deciding instead that the best forms of cultivation mirror nature's own laws. Over the next three decades he perfected his so-called "do-nothing" technique: commonsense, sustainable practices that all but eliminate the use of pesticides, fertilizer, tillage, and perhaps most significantly, wasteful effort.

Marj

Comments (7)

• gjcore
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank You Bonnie and Terry for having the swap!

We will definitely enjoy the tomatoes, okra and cucumbers etc. that you so generously let the RMG crew harvest.

A couple pics of Bonnie's beautiful flower bed

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

Thank you! We had fun, as always. Tomorrow we will plant our new treasures.

Thank you to everyone who shared produce! The tomatoes are awesome. We already have put a batch of pesto in the freezer and eaten most of one cucumber. We will smile and think of this swap when we pull out frozen tomatoes this winter to add to soups and sauces.

The food was yummy as always, too. Thank you to everyone who brought things to share!

It was great to see old friends and meet new ones. We look forward to seeing everyone again in the spring!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

What a wonderful day! Bonnie and Terry, thank you so much for being the perfect hosts and sharing the slice of heaven you've built there.

Thanks to all for the great assortment of plant material. I'm happy as a clam with what I brought home! We'll have good weather for planting coming up this next week.

It was good to meet the new folk and catch up with the nicest gardening group around.

Barb

• luckybottom
    9 years ago

Yes, wonderful indeed!

Thanks to everyone: sharing food, sharing ideas and sharing plants.

Today we put our new members of our family in their beds. Greens in the portager, lily in flowerbed and sedums near the herb garden in full sun.

For those that want it, here is the pickle relish recipe:

8 c. ground cucumbers
    1 c. ground onions
    1/2 c. salt
    Add together and drain overnight. I pulse large pieces of vegs in food processor till small pieces.

Syrup
    1 t. each: mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric
    2 c. sugar
    1 c. vinegar (5%)
    Heat syrup just to boil, pour over pickles. Fill jars to 1/2", seal and water bath 15 minutes. Makes 5 half pints

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Hi all,

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner, but I wanted to get the pictures in the computer so I could post them!

Thank you Bonnie and Terry for hosting another wonderful, wonderful swap! The swaps on your ranch are always so peaceful and relaxing! Your burgers and relish were SO good! Thank you Terry, our chef, for taking the time to cook something hot and fresh for us, and Bonnie for sharing your amazing homemade relish with us--and for the recipe.

Funny, but I seem to have made a mistake in thinking I was coming to a PLANT swap--and it turned out that I came home with a whole car full of amazing "Natural Foods"--and all of it organic I believe!

Thank you Bonnie for allowing all the gleaning in your garden! I managed to collect a nice pile of tomatoes--had a large Black Krim last nite and LOVED it!--a buncha green beans, couple small zuchs, and a few cukes. Oh, and thank you for sharing your jam at the swap! I had a rhubarb-strawberry jam glazed chicken thigh for dinner last nite! YUM! I think most of the jam will be used for glazing things!

Thank you, Greg, for bringing the Produce Department with you for swapping! Homegrown potatoes and onions and eggplant, oh, my! And that huge butternut squash. That'll probably be saved for a while while I eat the stuff that won't last as long, and since it's so big I'll probably make it sometime when I'm having somebody over for dinner--with attribution, of course!

Thank you to everyone who came to help make this another great swap!

Here are some of the pics!

Is there a date for the Spring Swap yet?????

Skybird

• flowerridge
    9 years ago

What an incredible day! My husband is still talking about how nice everyone was and what FUN we had.

Bonnie and Terry - thanks so much for sharing you slice of God's country. And Everyone -- thanks for the great food, the interesting conversation and all the plants and stuff you brought to swap. It was truly a day to remember!

On Sunday, i put the larger plants in the ground. This weekend, I'll get the smaller ones in. They've had a little more time to acclimate by now.

I'm already looking forward to the Spring Swap!

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Looks like you guys had a really good time, sorry I missed it!