Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

Frost warning for Front Range tonight

treebarb Z5 Denver
12 years ago

I'm really wishing I'd caught this bit of information sooner. I'm going to throw a couple of sheets over the tomatoes now and hope for the best.

Good luck to all with their late season veggies tonight!

Barb

Comments (13)

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Nooooo - say it isn't so, Barb!!

Ah well, it had to come sooner or later. Thanks so much for your post! I'm going to bring a few things in.

Marj

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Well, swell. I checked this morning, lows for the week were in the mid-40's. Checked again now, and they changed it to the mid-30's.

Yikes. Too late now to do anything for tonight.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Firefox browser has weather add-ons and one pops a warning onto my taskbar. I got the NWS notice about 4.30-ish. I did some pickin' and coverin' and now choppin' & freezin'.

Nevertheless, my spidey sense didn't go off today for frost, so we'll see how it goes! Good luck everyone, and you folks up north stop chuckling at us!

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

I saw that a few hours ago on NOAA and decided I don't believe it! Decided I'm not gonna take the time to cover anything tonite! It's 50 here now, just before 11:00, and I'm not in a low-lying area at all! Sure hope I'm right, 'cause I'll be really bummed if anything freezes!!! Tomatoes and cukes are just now finally really getting going!

Ain't gonna happen---yet!

Fingers crossed,
    Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Well, swell. I checked this morning, lows for the week were in the mid-40's. Checked again now, and they changed it to the mid-30's.

Yikes. Too late now to do anything for tonight.

• colokid
    12 years ago

39 degrees here at La Salle (Greeley)
    I got tomatoes just blooming...............crazy year.
    Kenny

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's 35 degrees here and I have frost on the flannel sheets covering the tomatoes. Car windshield will need to be scraped as well. The uncovered sections of toms look wilty, so I'm glad I covered what I could. Now back to summer for the day!

Barb

• dsieber
    12 years ago

I got an air frost in Lakewood last night. There was not frost on the grass. After seeing how cold it was during the day a couple days ago I moved in my Meyer Lemon inside.

12 years ago

Well, my spidey sense was right, and like Skybird I'm not in a low spot. It even sprinkled overnight here with a breeze. Better safe than sorry.

Dan

• cnetter
    12 years ago

Light frost last night in parts of the yard. The only things really hurt were the tips of the pumpkin vines and some of the yellow squash which are in the lower part of the yard. The grass was crunchy with frost out front this morning. I'm glad I covered the peppers.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

No problem at all here in Thornton! Only got down to 41 in my backyard, and I got enough light rain last evening to wet down the foliage on everything, so I really wasn't worried at all when I went to bed last nite. The coming week is supposed to be really nice, and I'm hoping with all my might that we get at least a few more weeks before we have to seriously think about calling it quits for this year! I'm not at all ready to give up on the Labor of Love in my backyard yet!

Skybird

12 years ago

Was at an event last night and majority of folks OK with no frost, few got light frost (just like on this thread). I'm counting on two more weeks to finish ripening peppers and about a dozen melons & squash delayed due to intense heat.

Dan

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Saw an extended forecast calling for a high of 50 and low of 32 for next weekend. I hope it's wrong, but at least I have another week to finish picking!

Barb